Question on LCD Scaling

Svperstar

Limp Gawd
So say you buy a large LCD with 1920x native res or 1680x1050 native res. Can you use a lower widescreen res like 1440x900 to increase perfromance or will it look like crap?

Have a week and a half to return this LCD for a full refund if I like, debating getting a larger screen, but I don't want to be stuff running an uber high resolution all the time for performance reasons.

You can use any resolution that is supported by that display. Some display's have built in scaling options to handle scaling of lower resolutions and different aspect ratios, if not you can still do the same in your video card drivers. For example, my LCD's native res is 1680x1050, but I can play a game in 1024x768. If I don't use any scaling, it will stretch the 1024x768 to fill out the screen. It will look stretched since 1024x768 is a 4x3 ratio and the monitor is 16:10. If I use "centered output" scaling, it will display in a 1024x768 box in the center of the monitor, the rest will be black. I prefer "fixed aspect ratio scaling" which preserves the aspect ration (4:3 in this case), but stretches it to fill as much of the screen as possible.

Do any widescreen 20s support 1:1 pixel scaling besides the Dell?

The lower the resolution from native the more it will loose sharpness but it will work, its also better to use your graphics cards scalling rather then the monitors if you want to use resolutions like 1600*1200, 1280*1024... etc.

Back