Question on Intel Upgradability

Joined
Aug 30, 2004
Messages
2,668
Either a 3.4ghz Northwood (best performance, but rare) or 3.4ghz Prescott (easier to obtain, but slightly less performance than the Northwood). The chip will probably end up costing you between 200 and 300. If that's worth it to you, then go for it. What are you going to be doing with this?

I'd recommend saving money and getting, say, a 775 board that has DDR (I think the DFI 875-PT is a good one) and getting a nice 630 and OC'ing it. That would be the best price/performance for you if you want to stick with Intel. You could also get a 502 (a 2.66ghz Prescott in LGA775 form) and bump the FSB up to 200. That's an instant, almost guaranteed, 4GHz. The "downside" is the lack of HT, but whatever. If you want multitasking, an 820 is a good value.
 
Ah its purely for gaming. Yeah I don't think it would be worth it. I was looking at $175'ish tops. I'm planning on completely building a new computer when the nvidia 8x series comes out along with wgf2 but I kind of wanted a boost in my system until then. Whenever I do buil da new one I'm definitely going with AMD. Oh well. Thanks!
 
aeonrevolution said:
Ah its purely for gaming. Yeah I don't think it would be worth it. I was looking at $175'ish tops. I'm planning on completely building a new computer when the nvidia 8x series comes out along with wgf2 but I kind of wanted a boost in my system until then. Whenever I do buil da new one I'm definitely going with AMD. Oh well. Thanks!

Yeah, no problem. For gaming (and everything else when using a dual core) AMD is the way to go for price/performance, especially since performance-wise, AMD's in some cases begin where Intel starts to end for games.
example:
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429&p=6
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentium4-6xx_12.html

If you want any tips on the best AMD64 parts (god knows I've sampled enough to have a grasp), feel free to PM me.
 
Since you're going from a non-hyperthreaded processor to one that is, its probobly a good idea to upgrade your bios to the latest to ensure that hyperthreading is correctly supported.

I would't get a 3.4ghz processor, I'd get something like a 3.0C or 3.2C. Northwood only because some i865 boards had trouble with prescott cpu's.
 
Just replace the motherboard and CPU. The 4600 case uses standard micro ATX mouting points and the PSU is standard ATX 12v. The only hassle is hooking up the front connections like the power button, reset and LEDs. Personally, i'd throw in a cool-running 939 A64 and NF4 microATX board: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=900405&page=1 and http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BP . But you would have to upgrade your video card since those boards are PCI-E.

There are a few similar dell cases (2300/2350/2400/4600/4700) that are easy to do the same upgrades to.
 
Yeah I think I got lucky when we got this Dell. Initially it was just a home pc that struggled with games but it has taken upgrades pretty well. The only part that bugs me is that you can't overclock. Thanks for the info guys.
 
Back
Top