question on Evga's

sholmes555

n00b
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
5
hey guys, i'm a n00b but i'm trying to build a computer right now. I've got an E6600 and patriot 2 gigs ram, and an EVGA 7900GS (from newegg) and vista ultimate as of now. i've still yet to buy a PSU and a case which i'll do shortly but i'd ideally like to buy a mobo right now or today. I've been looking at :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019

My friends are recommending EVGA, though it's a bit costly. Ideally, my budget would be somwhere b/w a 100-135 or so, but i'm willing to shell out just a tad bit more should I deem the product to be of high quality. I currently on an Abit Ai7, so I could also swing by the side of Abits. I'm just trying to run vista ultimate SMOOTHLY as a goal right now as i don't have a lot of time to game...though i'd like to leave potential for some gaming.
So please tell me what you think of that and perhaps make me some suggestions for other evga's, asus, or abits please. Thank you very much! :D
 
I have an Evga 680i and I am very happy with it. I think the few extra dollars is worth the money knowing Evga's awesome tech support and life time warrenties. To be honest almost all of the 680i's are the exact samething save for the Asus Striker, which brand you buy from depends on who's tech support you trust.

On that note, don't get the TR version. Its an old model that Evga discontiuned, if you want to get a T, get the T1.
 
with that EVGA board don't expect quad core support. It doesn't have the fix and like the board say: Engineered for the core 2 overclocker. Just a heads up
 
EVGA's support is awesome, and if you're looking to stay cheaper go with their 650i board, it's around $100. I don't think it has SLI, but from what it sounds like you're not planning on using SLI.
 
Well, i found this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188017

though, the rear I/O panel looks kinda weird....would I have to get a new case for this or am i just being stupid and this I/O panel looks just fine to fit with any atx-supporting case? Thanks!

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. The 650i isn't going to be quite as fast as the 680i, and no SLI support, but that is still a great board. The IO panel will fit fine in any ATX case, it just looks odd because it doesn't have as many ports as other boards do.
 
I just swapped my AR revision 680I that I bought right at launch for an A1 revision 680I as part of an RMA. I wanted better quad core support, so I took advantage of the program EVGA was running. Free shipping, both ways. It took just a few days to receive my RMA and I swapped it in today. Everything is working just fine, all I had to do was update form P26 to P28. I've been quite pleased with the 680i boards. There are problems with every board out there, but so far mine has been quite solid. You can see the specs in my sig.

I wouldn't have a problem recommending it. With the P28 bios, and the support EVGA provides, it's a pretty good solution.
 
cool. what about PSU's? How much do you think i'd need for a 680i board plus the ram i have and the vid card? 7900gs
 
I have a Corsair HX620w and it's running absolutely fine with the EVGA 680i and PNY 7900GS :p
 
EVGA= Teh Awesome.

For PSUs, I recommend Seasonic, Corsair (Custom Seasonic) or PC & Power Cooling.
 
I'm running a Silverstone ST75F 750watt PSU. Works great, super quiet, nice cables. Takes whatever I throw at it with ease.
 
cool guys thanks. i bought the 680i mobo and a 500w supply. i think that should be sufficient just cuz i don't think i'll go crazy anytime soon. now i'll just have to worry whether or not my ram is going to need to be tweaked in order for it to work which i'll be posing soon. thanks again guys! cheers
 
eVGA has the best customer service in the industry. Period. When the 7900GTs had major problems with their memory, eVGA was really the only vendor that stepped up and took care of the customer.
 
Back
Top