question on dual wan bonding router

kandor

Gawd
I've researched a lot but there is a lot of very confusing or wrong information out there. I can get 2 cable modems in my office no problem at all. But I only want 2 if I can bond them together with a dual wan router. I know a lot of dual wan routers function as 2 separate connections. ie fall back or load balancing.

But what I want to know is if a router exists that can bond the 2 wans together effectively doubling the bandwidth for a single connection.

The only way this will work the way you want it to is if your ISP will bond the connections on their end as well, which most will not do.

Right. To actually load balance so a single connection gets double bandwidth the ISP must be involved.

@OP

There are certain scenarios where what you want will work without ISP involvement. If the server you are connecting to supports multipath TCP then your connection to that server will get a speed boost. Torrenting by nature supports this. Usenet by nature also supports this.

Ok thanks. So, if my ISP would work with me, would any dual wan router work, or is a special one required?

@OP

There are certain scenarios where what you want will work without ISP involvement. If the server you are connecting to supports multipath TCP then your connection to that server will get a speed boost. Torrenting by nature supports this. Usenet by nature also supports this.

Well..kinda. BT and Usenet "support" this because your BT client or your Usenet client opens a bunch of connection and those connections can be distributed over multiple connections. But that's different than having one single connection utilizing both links.

Back