Question on dual booting

Stiletto

Supreme [H]ardness
I have Windows XP installed on my C: drive and the Windows 7 Beta on D, dual booting. Now that the Windows 7 RC is out, I want to do a clean install of it. Can I leave my XP install in place and somehow just clean install the Windows 7 RC, while retaining dual booting capabilities?

If your C: and D: drives are two different actual physical drives, installing and removing OS's from either won't do a thing. You pick what drive you want to boot from in the BIOS, before you even get to a bootloader.

So yea, wipe out the beta and install the RC. When you boot your machine, there is a button to bring up the boot options. (for me its F12) From there you pick what specific drive you want to boot from.

Now, if your C: and D: drive are just different partitions on the same drive, that is completely different, but still just as simple. Even if you erase the Beta with the RC install, the new RC install will see XP and the bootloader will show both OS's.

Yes if win xp is installed it'll go on the boot list. (if you install win xp after win 7 you only get win xp cause of the way win 7 makes a boot parition or what not). you should be fine doing that. You can upgrade to RC also if you want, instructions are on technet somehwere just google around you will find it.

Back