Question on CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooling Fan System

I am going to admit from the beginning, but I am a noob. Last time I have build a system was when P3 733Mhz was still around, and my current machine is P4 3.2Ghz from 2004. :eek:

I remedy my lack of a decent machine, (and to actually spend my yearly salary bonus somewhere, not to mention the fact that I still have a job), I went with custom build machine from iBuyPower. I needed something that could run Dragon Age: Origins as well, so that I may disappear into that void for the next year or so.

Specs below... :p
Case (CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Gaming Case - Black)

Processor (Intel® Core™ i7 960 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache))
Processor Cooling (CoolerMaster V8 CPU Cooling Fan System)
Memory (6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module - Gaming Series Brand)

Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 - 2GB - Single Card)

Motherboard (ASUS P6T -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB - 3-Way SLI)
Power Supply (850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850TX Power Supply - SLI Ready)

Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive)

Optical Drive (22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - [Lightscribe Technology] Black)

Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
Operating System (None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only)

Advanced Build Options (iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!)
Advanced Build Options (Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks)
Advanced Build Options (Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis)

But this is not about what I have gotten... I have a question about CoolerMaster V8 CPU fan...

I am looking at my new pc right now, (yes, it is finally arrived) and I have noticed that V8 is kind of loose. It pivots from side to side, but otherwise it sits solidly on the base.

Does it have to be that way? Is it loose by design to negate it's weight on the motherboard when machine is standing up right?

Anybody familiar with this fan that may put my fears to rest?

Comments feedback on overall build are welcome. :p

Thanks. ;)

I would re-mount the CPU cooler right away. There are three reasons to do this:

- The new V8 use a multiframe upper bracket that has the advantage of supporting multiple sockets including 775/1156/1366. This leads to one big disadvantage, the holding pins on the front brackets have to be in the widest possible slot and locked. Sometimes in shipping these pins can get knocked out of their locking slots (they are D shaped) and you may have a pin in the wrong position like in the middle 1156 position instead of the outer 1366 position where they should be.
- Shippers are very rough, the back nuts might have loosened since the V8 is pretty heavy.
- The thermalpaste might have slid out during shipping.

Since you have a HAF 922 all you need to do is take off the right side panel. Then reach the nuts using a small wrench while gently giving the V8 a reach around support on the left side. It will take two hands. then make sure all the pins are spring locked into the right positions and tighten the nuts again from opposite corners. It should take you 5 minutes and the V8 shouldn't slide anymore.

I checked the back, and verified that the four bolts are tightened with nuts, and that they are in the widest possible position (given the bracket that was installed. and the wholes in the motherboard) Checking around I couldn't find any other pins except the four mentioned above. I not sure what you meant by D-shaped pins. I also checked for signs of any thermalpaste leaking, and didn't find any.

One thing I observed is that the bolts (which are tightened by nuts) are a bit long, so the V8 springs and pivots on them, just like the shock observers in your car. That's what I meant when I said that V8 is loose.

It seems like the whole designed is there to avoid of morphing the motherboard under the weight of V8.

I have a V8 so I'll let you know that I didn't have any looseness or movement after I installed it. It was pretty sturdy after I installed it (as I wouldn't have kept it if it wasn't, heh). I'm not sure if you have the same bracket as me though. Let me know what your temps are at full load. My 920 doesn't go over 60°C at stock speeds. At 3.8 GHz, however, I get it up to 70°C when I'm folding for days. I would assume you should get around low 60°s in your 960.

Last edited:
I have a V8 so I'll let you know that I didn't have any looseness or movement after I installed it. It was pretty sturdy after I installed it (as I wouldn't have kept it if it wasn't, heh). I'm not sure if you have the same bracket as me though. Let me know what your temps are at full load.

Well, I connect it all, and booted it up. After spend no more then 15 seconds trying to figure how to get into BIOS, I got post messaging saying the CPU reached critical temperature.

After shutting it down, letting it cool, then powering it up and quickly making my way into BIOS and into Hardware Monitor, which reported that CPU is running at 85C :eek:

So the V8 is definitely mounted incorrectly.

I am now trying to figure out how to remove it... but I can't unscrew the nuts since the entire bolts turns with it.And there are nothing to grip to on the head of the bolt.

At this point I am quite puzzled...

Update: After putting the entire PC on it's side (so that the weight of the V8 is pushing itself down) I am getting 60C on CPU temperature.

That's still WAY too hot for idle temps. You need to take out the mobo completely and re-mount that thing. There should be .pdf instructions on Cooler Masters site somewhere. I know it's a PITA, but it's necessary at this point.

That's still WAY too hot for idle temps. You need to take out the mobo completely and re-mount that thing. There should be .pdf instructions on Cooler Masters site somewhere. I know it's a PITA, but it's necessary at this point.
After battling with those bolts for a good hour, and finally getting them unscrewed one by one (with a bit of luck and engineering), I finally managed to remove it.

The mounting brackets are completely bend out of shape. Does V8 really weight this match to bend its own mounting brackets? Most likely is that some outside force was applied, since all mounting brackets are bend, meaning that this V8 was pushed on from all sides.

Either way, the mounting brackets are now bend in the opposite direction. I don't think I would be able to remove them. I pretty sure that at this point the screws are fuzed in.

For fun I used pair of pliers, and was able to bend the mounting in either direction with little afford. Which means that at this point the weight of V8 will undo any fixes I made fairly quickly.

Looks like I'll be calling iBuyPower tomorrow, and requesting RMA.

I don't know what came over me, but... I managed to unscrew the mounting brackets, fixed them up by bending them back into shape. Fixed up the thermal paste. Remounted the V8...

Right now CPU & MB hovering at 46C in BIOS. I believe these are realistic temperatures for this CPU. Correct?

I'll be running Memtest86+ for the next 24 hours to see what else I have in store for me.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Cool, glad you able to mostly fix it. That's still a little high for idle temp, but if your Asus mobo is like mine, it reads high in the BIOS (and with any software utility that doesn't read multiple core temps) for some reason. I think mine reads about the same in the BIOS, but when I get to my desktop and load Realtemp, it's at around 30°-35°C across all cores.

Do you have your OS on there yet? When you do, run Prime95 to put a load on all threads and see what your temps get up to. Again, do NOT use that crappy Asus probe utility (as I did initially) to monitor temps, it's way inaccurate. It reads too high, mine said it was at 85°C when it was really at 70°C. Us Realtemp or something similar that monitors all cores.

Hope this helps.

46C is definitely too warm for a CM V8.

For reference, I have an Antec 1200 case with an i7 920 @ stock speeds. My idle temps are around 33-30-32-29. With all of my fans on max, they dip to 31-28-30-27.

At full load, I have never gone higher than 60. But I have hit 60c before...

I had some mounting issues with my CM v8 at first. Make sure you can read the V8 logo correctly when looking at your case, to ensure its not mounted upside down. In CM's OWN directions, they have a picture of the V8 mounted incorrectly!

I also managed to break one of the small bolts that screws the bracket into the heatsink itself. The heads on those screws are very delicate/thin, so be careful not to overtighten them!

When I had Microcenter build my current machine, I too noticed that the mounting was not 100% great. It was slightly wobbly and the temps seemed off. Once I re-fastened the cooler, things got a lot better. It does weigh a lot, so you will want to make sure it's on good.

It was a pain, but it's worth it.

Not to sidetrack things too much, but for a 920 OCd to 3.6 on 1.24v, what are good temps at idle/load?
I'm currently at 45ish idle and 75ish load.

I'm of the mindset that anything under 80 load is pretty good, but I'm curious to know for certain.

That rig will really play DA:O nicely; I have almost the exact same rig but with a 4870 and it's really smooth.
Enjoy!

OP: Definately not seated right. give ibuypower a good tonguelashing.

JJZ: DA:O signaled the end of my (finally settled) sleep cycles.

not mounted correctly, my stock intel heatsink was mounted wrong(I messed it up) and it sits at 40-43*C

OP: Definitely not seated right. give ibuypower a good tonguelashing.

Planning on it, but somehow I think the response will be, "Well it was damaged in the shipping..." And how will I go proving them wrong about that? However, they did put the expanding foam inside the case. Maybe that's my chance! :p

I been looking at my options at what to do... The mounting brackets are bend out of shape, and even if I did correct them, they could still re-bend over time due to the weight of V8. Buy a new bracket set? or get a new lighter liquid cooling solution?

I have been searching for new bracket set... Newegg has some, but they are on backorder.

I noticed that there are a lot of positive reviews (even on this forum :D ) on CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler, and I been thinking of ordering one to replace this V8.

Thoughts?

I been looking at my options at what to do... The mounting brackets are bend out of shape, and even if I did correct them, they could still re-bend over time due to the weight of V8. Buy a new bracket set? or get a new lighter liquid cooling solution?

I have been searching for new bracket set... Newegg has some, but they are on backorder.

If the brackets are indeed bent, I would have to say Cooler Master didn't use thick/strong enough metal for the brackets. And if that is the case, I wouldn't bother ordering a new bracket. I would make a new/better bracket myself.

The expanding foam would not be the cause of it... If it put enough pressure in there to bend the brackets you would have all kinds of other damage to the system as well.

I did look at the newegg link for the bracket kit and the metal does look kinda thin for what it is supposed to be doing.

If the brackets are indeed bent, I would have to say Cooler Master didn't use thick/strong enough metal for the brackets. And if that is the case, I wouldn't bother ordering a new bracket. I would make a new/better bracket myself.

The expanding foam would not be the cause of it... If it put enough pressure in there to bend the brackets you would have all kinds of other damage to the system as well.
This is the bracket that was installed by iBuyPower. It's a multi use bracket for i7, i5, and i3. You can see that bolts are design to slide all over the place fit different sockets.

I did look at the newegg link for the bracket kit and the metal does look kinda thin for what it is supposed to be doing.
Is V8 then design to only sit on top of the CPU in an upright position? And the way I am using it right now, mounted to a vertical motherboard is not a good way to go?

Would alternative be to use Corsair H50 solution? That should be light, correct?

If I were you, just order that Corsair Hydro, (which I've heard good things as well), and you should be good to go.

I have a V8. Base was concave along with the IHS on my 920. I had issues where the middle of the base would be bare with TIM. I was about to return the V8, but decide to lap.

I never realized how they were both the CPU and HS was concave until I started lapping it. A while later I had perfect contact and better temps. I'm clocked at 4.0 with a v8. Idle at ~48-50 (core temp, 27 ambient) and load its about ~88-90 - yeah I'm flirting with the threshold. A better fan hopefully will help.

I've had the turboboost (+5 degrees) on and it runs fine, but I keep it off to cut back on heat. I could turn off HT, but I want to get my money's worth in processing power. 100% stable.

Back