Question on case PSU?

Joined
Dec 29, 2005
Messages
517
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133157

Is the PSU in this case any good? I ordered the case and am in the process of ordering other parts. I know case PSUs aren't that great. I was wondering will this one run solid with a 20 to 24 pin power converter? I just want to have it for like 6 months until I swap it for a better one. I don't want to have it crash or blow up my system or anything. Thanks for any replies.
 
Abyss of Borg said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133157

Is the PSU in this case any good? I ordered the case and am in the process of ordering other parts. I know case PSUs aren't that great. I was wondering will this one run solid with a 20 to 24 pin power converter? I just want to have it for like 6 months until I swap it for a better one. I don't want to have it crash or blow up my system or anything. Thanks for any replies.
Link doesn't work. Only Antec cases seem to come with good PSU's. ;)
 
It is a TT Soprano with a 430W PSU. 18A on the +12V isn't enough for today's more demanding machines. I'd put it aside.
 
_Korruption_ said:
It is a TT Soprano with a 430W PSU. 18A on the +12V isn't enough for today's more demanding machines. I'd put it aside.
Yep, that PSU was designed for older systems where the +12V was not as stressed,
today you want a min of +12V@26A or higher. ;)
 
Casedge cases come with Fortron PSUs, at least some times. You know the screw that fastens one of the heatsinks to the PSU case on rear-fan Fortrons (as shown here? It's often missing from the Fortrons in Caseedges, but the screw hole is still there.
 
Antec's not the only good case/PSU combo. Enlights are good. Some Inwins have FSP's, as do AOpens. Ultra's come w/ X-Finity or V-Series, Supermicro comes with Ablecom....

But that Thermaltake aint gonna cut it. IT'd be good for a Socket A or P!!!, but there's only 13A on the 12V rail. That's pathetic for a modern PC.
 
jonnyGURU said:
But that Thermaltake aint gonna cut it. IT'd be good for a Socket A or P!!!, but there's only 13A on the 12V rail. That's pathetic for a modern PC.

Agree with the 13A +12V assessment. Even the TR2 successor, with its 18A on the +12V rail, would be good for a non-OC'ed Northwood-core P4 - but wouldn't cut the mustard for a modern 100+ Watt processor.
 
Back
Top