Question on cable modems

oboyco

Gawd
Not sure if this is this the right place to post this, but I am considering going to cable for broadband, from DSL. I talked to the cable company and they said they use Motorola modems, but she didn't have a model number. I can either purchase the modem from them for $84 or buy my own.

I know with DSL that there are different types of modems, at least two.

Question is, is this the same with cable? Do I need to get their specific specs, or can I go with, say a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 from ebay, or a different mfg?

What specs should I be looking for, and the corresponding modems? Looking to save some money here, but sometimes it's best to eat a few bucks and go with the cable companies choice and warranty.

My last DSL modem bit the dust right after a year and had to buy another for $100 plus, from the telecom, so maybe warranty isn't worth it. (of course I'm sure Motorola would be the same warranty but with more hassle)

This is really prolly something you should ask your cable company... They will prolly at least recomend a DOCSIS 2.0 compliant modem. I know that I bought a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem for my comcast cable a couple years ago... called comcast up, read them the MAC address and I was good to go.

Thanks, that's what i was looking for. Seems like the DOCSIS2.0 compliance is probably the thing to look for. From what I've googled that is the main difference, when compared with DSL where there are quite a few differences. I will definitely check with the cable co. for compatability and get the model number of the modem they're using.

If ya got comcast, you know that you can rent a cable modem for 5$ a month, right? I'd figure the other cable companies are prolly about the same. Only reasons I could think to get your own would be to hack it and try to get more speed or to get one with a 4-8 port switch/firewall built in...

While any DOCSIS modem should work, your cable provide will have a list of approved modems. They may even have it on their website.

LOL, well thats the problem, I live in the relative boonies and the cable co. doesn't even have a website. The girl I spoke with was very nice but didn't have a clue. She could however recite every channel tv station they offered. After about channel #40 I had to stop her and ask the price again. She gave me wrong price on braodband, went from $21.95 to $29.95.

Just testing the waters to see what the options are. Sounds like in cable modems one size fits all pretty much. Very interested about the 4-8 firewall etc

Rent is $7.00 a mo

Even though ya dont have service with them, talk to their tech support if possible... You know they have info on the cable'net and prefered modems... prolly prices also.

Another easy way to find out what they support, ask them what modems they give out to customers.

Back