Question in re: Dual Boot XP and Vista

Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered before, I have done a search for my particular question but have not had seen an answer to my question. If there is already a thread, please point me in the right direction.

Now, onto the question. Currently I have two Raptors in a RAID 0 configuration, and that is all I have in my system. I don't want to break the RAID setup, so I was thinking of using Norton Partition Magic and halfing the partion and installing Vista on drive D (I already have WinXP installed.) Now what I am wondering is eventually I want to go to Vista and dump Windows XP. Is it possible to just delete the partition Windows XP is on and "shift" the data from Vista to the beginning parts of the drive? Or do you think I will even have to worry about that?

Thanks,
~OblivionSHO~

Yes, you can, basically anyhow. You can delete your XP partition and "re-size" your Vista partition, leaving one large partition in place of the two smaller previous partitions. I have done this using GParted... I don't think that Partition Magic will let you do this, but I'm not sure as I don't use PM..

Another option would be to just install Vista as your primary OS and run XP in VirtualPC 2007, there are a lot of people around doing just that and they seem to be fairly happy with that arrangement.

Yes, you can.
I have done it using GParted... I don't think that Partition Magic will let you do this, but I'm not sure as I don't use PM..

Another option would be to just install Vista as your primary OS and run XP in VirtualPC 2007, there are a lot of people around doing just that and they seem to be fairly happy with that arrangement.

Thanks for the response. I'll check out GParted like you recommend. The idea of running a VM using VirualPC 07 is intriguing, however, I have a USB scanner that does not work in Vista yet, and I have to use it for work. I really wish that MS would have included support for USB devices in VirtualPC, but I guess you can't complain too much when a product is free. Also, I'm waiting for some decent nVidia drivers, and dual booting will make a decent test environment.

Thanks again for your input.

Back