Question for powerline users

xaira

n00b
We know that a rock solid connection can only truly be guaranteed by direct ethernet cable, though wireless can be solid, its never as solid as a wired connection, your wireless connection speed on your server can be 300mb/s and yet you will never get over 10MB/s wireless to wireless, so i need to know about the stability of powerline, is it a viable replacement for the hastle of running cables in a small business environment (if done right)

so lets say the satisfaction of all connections on wired is 10 and all connections on wifi n 300 is 6...in your own experience, where is powerline on a scale of 1-10

I get 10MB/s over 802.11n wireless connecting at 144Mbps.

Ubiquiti airfiber can push 600Mbps both ways rock solid...but that's a $3,000 wireless connection.

Powerline tends to be more consistent than wireless N. It's effective usable though put is no higher.

500Mbps powerline usually ends up with 60-80Mbps of bandwidth or 8-10MB/s

That said powerline equipment that can push 8-10MB/s is going to stream video (UDP packets) better than wireless N EVEN if the wireless N connection can more 10MB/s via smb tcp.

Assuming I have a excellent signal....moving files around both are equal...and in my case wireless is faster even at 144Mbps. If I switched to 300Mbps I could probably tweak it up to 18MB/s "moving files" over wireless. But I prefer to keep my setup at 144Mbps so I can stream movies with more consistency.

Powerline would probably be slightly better at streaming.... but again I have a almost flawless wireless N setup.

So use the right tool for the job. Would you drag race a semi? Would you use a Prius to haul a load of limestone?

I know people who are satisfied driving a Jeep Nitro?!?!?!?

I think what you want to hear...is that Powerline is more consistent than wireless. But satisfaction with the performance of one verses another is all shades of gray.

thx, thinking of using powerline for a small office and was wondering if it was a viable solution since i have no experience with it, figured i would ask

You need to keep in mind that power line networking and wireless are a shared bandwidth architecture.

As in everyone shares the same data pipe for communications.

Wired uses point to point or a star topology.

That adds up fast to being a very different experience.

How many users are going to be in this office?

i dont even know yet but am aware of the bandwidth constraints, but from the info i have been given the most they would need is access to internet and an application server which they access via a web interface...so individual bandwidth requirements should be miniscule

i notice that there are 200mbit, 500mbit and gigabit solutions, my plan is to go gigabit in the server room and all the peripheral outlets will be 200mbit

i dont even know yet but am aware of the bandwidth constraints, but from the info i have been given the most they would need is access to internet and an application server which they access via a web interface...so individual bandwidth requirements should be miniscule

i notice that there are 200mbit, 500mbit and gigabit solutions, my plan is to go gigabit in the server room and all the peripheral outlets will be 200mbit

Buy only 500Mbps units..... you'll be lucky if you get 80Mbps out of them.

If you but the 200Mbps unite you'll most likely get 18-30Mbps out of them

And if you actually connect up users via 500Mbps powerline...all of them together won't even max out a single 100Mbps ethernet line.

5 users all running 500Mbps powerline share 80Mbps bandwidth = each user having 16Mbps of connectivity when all users are using the network.

You never answered the question about number of users....and it doesn't sound like you fully understand the abilities and limitations of the tech you want to use.

At the moment it sounds more like you are trying to throw darts at the IT connectivity dart board than actually building a SOHO business class network.

All 5 combined get 80Mbps shared bandwidth...which is less than a single 100Mbps ethernet connection (which actually has 200Mbps of bandwidth when running full duplex).

i do not deny that i am throwing darts, though i plan to do extensive testing before i actually deploy the solution, this thread was just to get some advice from people who have more experience with the tech, but i am willing to take the loss of having to build it over using cat5e to get the experience with powerline,

Back