Question for network GURU's

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
I have 2 cable modems in my home one with 50mbps / the other with 35mbps internet through comcast.

My desktop is connected via wirelessly to the 50mbps modem . My question is it possible for my desktop to connect to the other cable modem while still being connected to the 50mbps modem? Since my desktop uses a asus wireless adapter I was thinking about getting a power Ethernet adapter from my desktop to the 35MBPS modem . A power Ethernet adapter is to plug into the wall using electricity with cat 5 which will give me a theoretically speed of 500mbps which is plenty for my internet connection. I have a gigabit lan port on my pc which will be connected to a power ethernet adapter in the wall outlet.

My goal is to be able to utilize both networks and bandwidth on one PC. So for example I am on a downloading a game using a 50mbps connection and then surfing the internet using my 35mbps connection. Utilizing both cable modems with different IPs . Will windows 7 be able to determine which program is using what internet connection and is this setup possible?
Thanks

Untangle has a paid service that load balancers both services which would get you some improved performance, I would think.

The short answer is 'no'.
The long answer is 'probably not'
The longest answer is 'Maybe, but it will require more hardware'.

Since all network locations can be accessed via a single gateway, there would be no need to use any other route (gateway), thus making the internet available on multiple gateways pointless.
Your provider may provide a bonded connection, but I haven't heard of that with cable ISPs. A bonded connection would allow use of 1 or more internet connections to boost speed, but it would require support by the ISP and possibly specialized hardware on the customer end.
You can utilize multiple WAN gateways to increase speed to multiple devices under heavy traffic, but you would not be able to increase speed past the highest speed supported by the ISP. You could, for instance, use a pfSense multi-WAN setup with load-balance failover to speed traffic, but you'd see minimal difference if you have just one device accessing the internet.

Without bonding, the maximum speed you would have is 50mbps, not 85mbps. Multi-WAN load-balancing would send some traffic down the 50mb link and other traffic down the 35mb link, easing traffic on any single link.

Only bonding, which must be supported by the ISP, can increase speed through a single gateway (50mb + 35mb = 85mbps).

so i am basically better off just getting a laptop to use as a torrent machine and keep my desktop free

for the 50mbps line..

Back