Question for Network Admins

Veldrid

n00b
I have been enrolled in college for Network Administration and Security for a bit over a year now. I went into college with more then your basic networking knowledge. I am really disappointed with the course outlines and how fast they are progressing. I don't feel as though I am learning anything new and I think I could do better teaching myself. Now I wanna pick up some good certification prep books. Looking to get my MCSE to start and I wanna get the Security+ certification also. I have 2 questions though. First, does anyone recommend any good books, like Microsofts MCSE/MCSA test prep series. Second, should I jump straight into 2003 server and just learn the major differences in 2003/2000 or should I go ahead with 2000 server and migrate over?

Security+ is just as worthless as A+ in my opinion. If you're going to get any vendor neutral security cert, go for the CISSP.

I'd start at 2000 Server. There are a lot of corporations that haven't moved to 2003 server yet, and some that probably wont ever move.

Before you drop out of your university (if that's what you're going to do) you might want to check and see if they have software you can have. A lot of uni's are part of Microsoft's learning initiative and they hand out tons of free software to their students (like Exchange Server, Windows Server, etc etc). I'd get as much of it as I could and setup my own little lab and have a good time with it.

Also, get you some networking equipment off Ebay and get you some experience.

I kinda understand how you feel. I am majoring in information systems and about to finish my second term. Everything so far is mostly common knowledge to me. It has help me to think of things in a slightly different way, but still sometimes boring. It's only my second term so maybe it will get better. Maybe what you can do is branch of into other computer fields as well in school. My school is going to start an IT security minor in two terms. I'm not particularly interested in branching into other computer fields so I'm going branch off into other fields like biology, business and chinese :D
Good luck with school and hope you find something to pursue.

-Robert

Originally posted by Veldrid
I have been enrolled in college for Network Administration and Security for a bit over a year now. I went into college with more then your basic networking knowledge. I am really disappointed with the course outlines and how fast they are progressing. I don't feel as though I am learning anything new and I think I could do better teaching myself.

Just do what I am doing now, I am taking a network management course at the local community college. Although I know more and have more experience then most of the instructors there, its an easy way for me to get an AS in CS.

No matter what you think you might already know, pay attention in class, you may know what things are or what they do, but do you really understand *how* they work and how everything works together? You would be surprised at some of the tidbits you'll pick up.

You also have to understand those courses are geared for students who have little computer knowledge to begin with. The courses assume you only have a basic knowledge of certain things and build upon that.

If you want to buy some books to start teaching yourself, then by all means do so, but also take notes and ask questions in class so the instructor can help clear anything up that you might not understand. Depending on the instructors you have, some may choose to delve into subject matter more deeply than others.

Now I wanna pick up some good certification prep books. Looking to get my MCSE to start and I wanna get the Security+ certification also. I have 2 questions though. First, does anyone recommend any good books, like Microsofts MCSE/MCSA test prep series. Second, should I jump straight into 2003 server and just learn the major differences in 2003/2000 or should I go ahead with 2000 server and migrate over?

At this point study for the 2003 cert exams, but also learn the differences between 2000 and 2003. There are enough differences in both that warrant knowing the limitations of 2000 vs 2003.

Start getting whatever certifications you want to get, If I were you, I would start out with the basic certs and not jump into something like CISSP right away. Give yourself time to learn the ins and outs of networking and security before gunning for a CISSP.

Yea like it or not, CISSP is probably way over your head at the moment. It's a pretty extensive and tough thing to obtain from what I know. And I think you have to have so many years of experience to even get it too.

Well that's is why I was considering the Security+. It substitutes for a Microsoft test and it never has to be renewed. I figured i would start with that and an MCSA/MCSE and then work toward the the other security certs.

If you dont know the basics already, then studying for the Security+ will give you the basics, you can even take the test if you want to prove to yourself that you know it. But industry wise I dont think the Security+ cert is going to get you anywhere, but if you want it, get it.

Yes the CISSP is very in-depth. If I had to compare it to anything I'd compare it to the CCIE. The have a CCIE exam for the security field, I'd even go so far as to say the CISSP is harder than the CCIE Security.

As for replacing an exam for the MCSE, I dont know, I didnt know Security+ did. Dont know much about Microsoft exams.

Microsoft just recently allowed the Security+ to susbstitute for one of the elective exams due to the arising securitry issues nowadays.

Back