Question for Aspire x-qpack owners re: PSU

kingpinGTI

Gawd
building my mom an x-qpack system. i need to know if the PSU supports ATX 2.0(24 pin) or not.

here's her specs:

Item(s) shipped from CA Tracking Number
Track 1 ASPIRE X-QPACK-NW-AL/420 Black/Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811144160 $80.00
Track 1 Rosewill R700J Silver 17" 12ms LCD Monitor - Retail
Item #: N82E16824021029 $204.99
Item(s) shipped from NJ Tracking Number:
Track 1 MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813130485 $86.50
Track 1 AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103535 $190.00
Track 1 CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS512MB400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145026 $43.50
Track 1 Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822144102 $53.75
Track 1 ASPIRE KI-COMBO-SV Silver PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard and Optical Scroll Mouse Combo Set Mouse Included - Retail
Item #: N82E16823165013 $16.00
Track 1 SONY Black IDE CD Burner Model CRX230EE/B2 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106828 $22.99
Subtotal: $697.73

It only comes with a 20-pin connector.

You know you can get a 19" LCD, DVI for only 30 bucks more right?

How come you didn't go with the Jetway board?

Why no gig of RAM?

Eh, another one who didn't ask for suggestions... I'll never understand why people ask after the fact. Oh well pretty good setup. There was a 160GB WD for $20 after MIR that would have been better as well, but anyway.

MassiveOverkill said:
It only comes with a 20-pin connector.

You know you can get a 19" LCD, DVI for only 30 bucks more right?

How come you didn't go with the Jetway board?

Why no gig of RAM?
the 19" is probably black, my mom specified silver.

i prefer MSI

moms doesn't need a gig of ram. she's a surfer, not a gamer.

The Venice 3000 is going to be just as fast for surfing (actually a $90 socket 754 Sempron is fine for surfing), is 40 bucks cheaper, than the 3200, and that 40 bucks could have been saved or better used for RAM.

My Fuji Plus 19" is silver/black.

MassiveOverkill said:
The Venice 3000 is going to be just as fast for surfing (actually a $90 socket 754 Sempron is fine for surfing), is 40 bucks cheaper, than the 3200, and that 40 bucks could have been saved or better used for RAM.

My Fuji Plus 19" is silver/black.
the venice 3200 is going in my system, and she's getting my winnie 3200.

and it's going to last her, that's all i care about. I really don't need you guys to tell me how to spec out and build systems, considering i've been doing it for 6 years. it's exactly what she needs, and nothing she doesn't want. all i wanted to know was if the psu was atx 2.0 compatable or not.

I would say no...seeings how all thats included is :
1 x 20pin Main Power
1 x 12V (P4)
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy
1 x SATA
or just look at thesite

kingpinGTI said:
the venice 3200 is going in my system, and she's getting my winnie 3200.

and it's going to last her, that's all i care about. I really don't need you guys to tell me how to spec out and build systems, considering i've been doing it for 6 years. it's exactly what she needs, and nothing she doesn't want. all i wanted to know was if the psu was atx 2.0 compatable or not.

OK man, that little bit of info helps out alot.

I figured since you listed specs of the system, that you wanted some kind of critique, like everyone else who lists parts that they're about to use in a new rig.

I didn't know your experience, so you always have to assume the person is a novice when asking questions so you don't talk over their head. The power connector is listed and pictured right on Newegg's website, where you can clearly see it's a 20 pin connector.

Personally I wouldn't trust that PSU on an A64 system, but that's just me.

If I seem critical about people's choice in parts, it's because I'm trying to help them not make the same mistakes I have made when choosing them. I just hate to see good money go to waste.

MassiveOverkill said:
OK man, that little bit of info helps out alot.

I figured since you listed specs of the system, that you wanted some kind of critique, like everyone else who lists parts that they're about to use in a new rig.

I didn't know your experience, so you always have to assume the person is a novice when asking questions so you don't talk over their head. The power connector is listed and pictured right on Newegg's website, where you can clearly see it's a 20 pin connector.

Personally I wouldn't trust that PSU on an A64 system, but that's just me.

If I seem critical about people's choice in parts, it's because I'm trying to help them not make the same mistakes I have made when choosing them. I just hate to see good money go to waste.

understandable and appreciated. worse comes to worse i have an antec 350 watter than can go in there(with an adapter)

The PSU that comes with the Q-Pack sucks. After I put mine together upstairs in an air condtioned room, I had the system running, just idling mind you, and for some reason my mom decided she needed to touch the PSU, and she was sorry she did. Almost hot enough to the touch to burn your finger. Hot enough that you felt it for a minute after you touched it. The week it stayed in my system, the +12v was always hovering around 11.5, and the +5v was always a bit low as well. I wouldn't trust that PSU any further than I could throw it, which, now that I think about it, might be entirely more trust than it deserves.

The Qpack PSU is fine for Athlons and Semprons. On paper the PSU is decent: The rails are a little low for a 430W psu, but still very servicable, and in the end I would probably trust this PSU with about as much as a good retail 380W unit. Ive been getting 11.79V,3.29V,and 4.99V, but my rig is pretty modest.

The one complaint is heat, as aohellasux mentioned, and looking in the PSU unit you can see why: the heatsinks are TINY. Wire management and keeping the area by the 120mm fan thats next to the PSU clear helps (my system temps went from 34-36 to 28-30) , and tacking on another fan to blow air out of the back of the PSU will probably do wonders.

Yeah, that PSU sucks. Mine would randomly crap out and was running super hot. I replaced it with a $35 Fortron 400W that runs cool, quiet, and stable. I even got an extra 100MHz out of my proc with it (and no more random reboots in the middle of games). Haven't had a problem since.

oem Aspire psu's = Deer in reliability imho

Read many bad stories about them, personally seen one blow out a hard drive.

Junking it = cheap insurance

A fire hazard is never worth it imho.

Back