• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question: E6420 vs. Current Gen

Evoic

Gawd
Joined
Apr 30, 2007
Messages
856
I used to live on these forums, but some changes came my way and my Overclocking OCD had to give way to other things.

Namely, diapers.

Now that some time has gone by, I'm having a little more time to myself and I'm interested in a swap / upgrade.....on a minor level.

I am on the overclock board numerous times with numerous chips (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1138241&highlight=evoic) and I continue to run one of them to this day; The E6420.
It was a great chip that started as 2.13Ghz stock and easily ran 24/7 at 3.5Ghz on air.

I currently run it at 3.2Ghz and I have that urge to splurge again and replace it with something else.

I run OCZ Reapers and the rest of my specs are in the signature below.

Is there anything that I can get a significant gain out of for under $100?
Would it be worth it to go to an E6500 or something similar that is a later generation?

I'm rusty. Someone help me if you have a moment please.

I game, although not a hardcore gamer.
My interest is and always has been bang for the buck and squeezing the maximum out of what I have the resources to make my own.

Thanks!
 
It's worthless to go E6500 as that has 2meg cache and yours 4meg. It would pretty much equal out it both cpu's were overclocked. if you want to upgrade your CPU you should go quad. Perhaps a low end quad but for $100 you aren't left with too many choices. Quad prices on the core 2 line have gone up.

Your best bet for $100 is maybe sell your chip and get a Q9550 for $180 at microcenter. That would last another 2-3 years.

Another option would be to sell all your core components for a new i3 or i5 that would cost a bit more. i3 wouldn't be bad though considering i3 is only $100-120 and perform like Q9400. It would be a quite a bit of step up.

I think your best option is to get an i3 considering you only have 2gigs of memory. Sell your parts and get new core components. You just can't game comfortably with only 2 gigs and that 7900gtx now a days.
 
Last edited:
Well, World of Warcraft is hardly component intensive gaming.
In addition to that, the OCZ Reapers are 8500 stock, so they're not exactly turtle speed memory sticks.

But, I hear what you're saying.

Thank you for the heads up and the suggestions.
I definitely appreciate the info.
 
If all you play is WOW then really you don't really need the upgrade.

There isn't too much you can do for under $100 other than swap your CPU for a quad and sell your old processor to rebound some money.
 
Back
Top