• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question: Crucial MX200 and Dynamic Write Acceleration

  • Thread starter Deleted member 126051
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 126051

Guest
Okay, with DWA, if you never fill a drive more than half full, it (theoretically) stays in SLC mode.

How many of you have experience with this? And what's the best way to implement a drive so that the die flip to MLC never happens?

Just, never fill it up?
Format it for half and leave the rest?

I've used smaller MX200 drives before, but this is my first time specifically looking to take advantage of (see: ABUSE) this technology.
 
What model are you using? DWA is only available in the 250 GB SATA one.
 
Okay, making that portion of the drive invisible...wouldn't that ALSO cause the drive to fall out of DWA at 50% of the visible area?
I can't see why - the SSD owns the HPA even more than it owns unpartitioned space - but admit I'm simply assuming.

Might be worth talking with Crucial about this. I'm sure they'd be happy for you to buy twice as much flash as you intend to "use".
 
Just partition your drives, no reason to use a cannon to kill a fly.

Besides, you want some overprovisioning so 45% would be better.

Only the 250GB SATA version and 250GB+500GB M.2 versions support DWA - the ones with higher capacities do not support DWA and thus cannot be used as SLC SSD to improve performance.
 
I dont think it stays in SLC mode. When ever it does garbage collection the SLC data is written as MLC mode. I think some other drives stays in SLC mode because you can set how much memory is set aside to do this. But I am sure they only allow a portion of the drive to stay in SLC modes.
 
Back
Top