Question: Copying Files with a Windows 7 machine

raksasas

Limp Gawd
Anyone know of a simple solution work around for copying files from drives that came out of other computer systems when you are using windows 7?

Example:
- Computer A has had a hardware failure (non-hard drive related)
- I pull the hard drive to get the user's files off for them.
- I attach the hard drive to computer B (runs windows 7 Professional)
- Computer B see the attached drive but I go to copy the users profile (the user's files) stored on that machine I get you don't have permission.

I am in an admin account (domain) but I think it has to do more with the UAC in windows 7. The first time I did this I went in an just took ownership of the files and gave me access to the files. In XP i just always cut/copied and pasted but now just not sure. Just wondering if there is a simpler solution to doing this.

it is not UAC.
It is all file/folder perms.

Many threads around here about this...

If you go to the folder properties, you should be able to get to the security options, form there you should be able to click on the advanced button and force permissions to yourself.

I hope this helps

If you go to the folder properties, you should be able to get to the security options, form there you should be able to click on the advanced button and force permissions to yourself.

I hope this helps

that would be a HUGE security hole. Kind of like FAT32.

If you currently have no perms on a file/folder and do not have ownership of said file/folder, you cannot modify permissions. It's a security thing.

Back