Question before buying first smartphone

Gabriel

2[H]4U
I have a very old phone (not a smartphone) that can't download any apps. If I get the phone below, along with the $10 pay as you go plan, will I be able to download and use Skype and LINE? It says it comes with a Wireless Smart SIM Card. Does that mean that I can use those apps anywhere, or only at a place with Internet like my house or work?
I don't know anything about phones, so I'm looking for the cheapest option:

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=deviceDetail&p_code=ZTE992

I've never heard of LINE. Skype uses data so either you get a data plan or use wifi.

Line is a messaging app that's particularly popular in east Asia, though you can use it worldwide.

As for that phone: I would be very, very hesitant to get that entry-level ZTE model. It's clearly using a very old version of Android and isn't fast to start with, so you may lose features and have issues running some apps (Skype and Line should work, but you may not get every feature).

If you're looking for a low-cost entry point, I'd go for a Motorola Moto E. You can buy it unlocked (that is, not attached to any carrier) from Motorola or Amazon for $120 if you're fine with 3G data speeds, or $150 if you want 4G (LTE). After that, you can just get a SIM from H2O or your other carrier of choice and get started. The Moto E's hardware is far better all around, and you'll get a much more recent version of Android. Remember, you want your first experience with a smartphone to be a pleasant one -- don't sell yourself short!

Completely agree with Aurelius. That ZTE phone is rocking hardware from 2009/2010. For just a few bucks more you can get a much better experience elsewhere.

Thanks.

Do I select the 3G US GSM, or Global GSM?

Also, if I buy a phone elsewhere, do I select the H2O Dual Smart SIM here? https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/mainControl.php?page=planDetail&p_code=PLNO10

If you live in the US, and I presume you do, get the US GSM model by all means. Alternately, the LTE model will also provide US coverage. One note: the LTE model also has a faster processor, so take that into account if you're interested in a little more performance.

You'll want the Dual Smart SIM, since that covers the microSIM card you'd need for a phone like the Moto E.

I'd say go for the Moto G as the screen will make it much easier to handle and to get an overview.
You'll most likely regret it in the end.
//Danne

I'd say go for the Moto G as the screen will make it much easier to handle and to get an overview.
You'll most likely regret it in the end.
//Danne

The second-gen Moto E has a 4.5-inch screen, so I wouldn't say it's all that small. It's a good way to get your feet wet in smartphones. You get the Moto G if you're more committed to the idea and just don't want to pay a lot.

If you're looking for a low-cost entry point, I'd go for a Motorola Moto E. You can buy it unlocked (that is, not attached to any carrier) from Motorola or Amazon for $120 if you're fine with 3G data speeds, or $150 if you want 4G (LTE). After that, you can just get a SIM from H2O or your other carrier of choice and get started. The Moto E's hardware is far better all around, and you'll get a much more recent version of Android. Remember, you want your first experience with a smartphone to be a pleasant one -- don't sell yourself short!

Thanks for the recommendation Aurelius!

Even though I didnt start the thread, I find it very useful since I'm also looking for a not too expensive entry-level smart phone. I'm quite tech savvy in some areas, but have never really followed the smartphone hype too much, so I guess I have some catching up to do now.

Are you also familiar with the THL T11? Alternatively I might also look at one of the Huawei models in the $150 to $200 price range or follow your recommendation on the Moto E. Still somewhat undecided

Moto G was $25 at Best Buy last week, but it's still only $40 now. Can't beat that, IMO and it's still a bit better than the Moto E if just for the display.

Thanks for the recommendation Aurelius!

Even though I didnt start the thread, I find it very useful since I'm also looking for a not too expensive entry-level smart phone. I'm quite tech savvy in some areas, but have never really followed the smartphone hype too much, so I guess I have some catching up to do now.

Are you also familiar with the THL T11? Alternatively I might also look at one of the Huawei models in the $150 to $200 price range or follow your recommendation on the Moto E. Still somewhat undecided

Welcome! I'm not familiar with THL, unfortunately. If you're in the US, I would generally stick to companies that sell US-oriented models, since you're more likely to get full 3G and 4G data. Huawei does have some nice US-friendly phones, like the Ascend Mate 2, but they tend to cost more than this (around $300).

I'm curious: why is it called Verizon Wireless Prepaid? It doesn't have to be activated with Verizon, right? (The $40 Moto G)

I'm curious: why is it called Verizon Wireless Prepaid? It doesn't have to be activated with Verizon, right? (The $40 Moto G)

It's locked to Verizon. I wish they'd mentioned that, because that's very important. If you're interested in a GSM carrier, that phone won't do you much good.

Back