question about windows 7 (School)

4LC4PON3

DERP!
im confused about something. Its about the windows 7 for college users. I want to order Windows 7 64 bit but when i add it to my cart is sais this "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade - 64 bit"

Does that mean Its only an upgrade and I need Windows XP or Vista? or is this basicly the Full installation. Is it worth it for 30 bucks or should i just Buy the OEM for over 100 bucks.

"I basicly found my answer already. you gotta have vista for this upgrade wich i dont currently have"

I think xp also qualifies for the upgrade. (or it does on the regular upgrade media).

That said if you googled how to do a clean install with upgrade media, im sure something would come up.

However, the oem media would allow you to just install clean without fiddling.

yes i found it

•If you purchase an upgrade copy of Windows 7, you'll need to install Windows 7 on a computer running Windows XP or Windows Vista

yeah ive decided just to order an OEM 64 bit seems like 2 much work for the student upgrade

Last edited:
It's an Upgrade license for XP or Vista. The difference is with Vista you can simply upgrade right to 7, but with XP, you need to do a clean install. If you are going 32 to 64 bit Vista, you will have to do a clean install however.

or you can use the support to obtain the .iso file from digitalriver/microsoft :) thats what I did, doing an install with it in a day or so, finished the DL in 40 min or so(3 GB file), just a heads up, save your money and get the student offer(it isnt hard to do even with an xp machine--i did it, i can send ya the directions if you want, you basically make your own ISO file)

It's an Upgrade license for XP or Vista. The difference is with Vista you can simply upgrade right to 7, but with XP, you need to do a clean install. If you are going 32 to 64 bit Vista, you will have to do a clean install however.

Actually, one should do a clean install from either Vista or
XP.

Back