Question about Windows 7 OEM

seeknowsage

Limp Gawd
So I'm thinking about upgrading my home computer with a new motherboard, processor, and ram from newegg. (I plan on keeping and formatting my hard drives.) However, I also see that newegg has some OEM versions for Windows 7 and I'm thinking about getting one for this new machine. But I am having trouble answering a couple of questions I have about this through looking online.

Specifically, if I install an OEM version of Windows 7 on this machine, will I be unable to install it in the future if I decide to upgrade to a new motherboard or processor? In other words, is Windows 7 somehow tied to that specific hardware configuration when it is first installed?

If you're a stickler for the rules, OEM license only allows you to use Windows on one PC build. If you replace an important component and it deactivates your license, you may or may not be able to reactivate it.

If you're like most of us though, you can call Microsoft's toll free number and reactivate it manually. I've never been asked why, only if I'm using the license on another computer, which I answer in the negative. They will give you a new activation key.

I was curious about this too. The OEM price is basically half that of the full retail purchse. So if it's still good to reactivate it when you get new gear. Looks like the OEM is the way to go...

Yeah, supposedly if you replace the mobo or drive (just replacing/swapping out cpu or ram won't affect anything) you are out of luck and need to buy another license but from what I have heard most people who do call MS and explain what they are doing then they'll give you a new activation code free. I know some people who have done it successfully so MS does do it.

I've always gone with OEM and have never had an issue with reactivating after a hardware upgrade...if you have to call MS all they ask you is 1 question, "how many computers is the software installed on?"...once you answer 1 then they give you a new activation code no questions asked...OEM is the only way to go in my opinion

As others have stated, OEM is only licensed for one computer, and if you change enough hardware, specifically motherboards, you're supposed to get another. But, Microsoft doesn't really hold you to that. I've used the same OEM XP on a rig that went through 3 motherboards, and twice it automatically activated and the other I just had to call. The main reason it's cheaper than Retail is the fact that they don't offer support. That's up to the OEM license holder.

It depends if you follow the OEM rules to the letter than your screwed. If you bend the rules then your fine. I have one OEM Xp that I have used for the last 5 or 6 years and gone threw at least 3 system changes in that time. Still using the same copy. Call MS and tell them you formatted your hard drive and its only installed on one computer and they you get your new key....

OEM versions of Windows are tied to the first motherboard it is installed on. You can change any other hardware as many times as wanted, the worst that will happen is a phone activation. MS's official policy is a new MB = a new computer, new computer = new license. Now, if you want to skirt that policy that's between you and MS.

Everry time I've had need to call to activate Windows the question asked has been "Is this copy of Windows only installed on one PC?" Answering that in the affirmative not only gets you an activation code - it also means you didn't actually tell lies!

I plan on upgrading my Vista Ultimate tower to a full version of WIN7 OEM when I buy it in the near future. I am currently running a full version of vista ultimate OEM on the machine right now. Do I have to call and de activate this vista install before I install my new full version WIN7 OEM copy or can I just format the drive and the take off installing the WIN7 OEM Full version with no probs.. thanks..

The sad part about how easy the phone activation is.... is that it also works exactly the same with the Server versions of windows.......

I've been using an OEM version of WinXP since the launch of WinXP. Its gone through 4 major total rebuilds, it was originally on a old 1.2 athlon thunderbird, then a 1.8 athlon, then a 2.4c intel, then a 4400+x2, and now a phenom II. Each time I went through a total rebuild, I just had to call the number, I just said I upgraded some parts and had to reinstall and they gave me a code. I would imagine its no different with Win7.

hell, i've changed mobos and told them and have still been able to activate over the phone.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back