Question about Win 7 Retail activation

Hornet

Supreme [H]ardness
I've bought a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate, and I would like to try it out right now through virtual pc. But I'm unsure if there is any limit to how soon before I can transfer the license to another PC (my new build, which is still 1-2 months away)

My questions are:
1. Is it ok if I activate it in a virtual PC now, and again on my new PC 1 month later?
2. Do I have to call them for the 2nd activation?
3. Can I activate it on a 32 bit version now, and then reactivate it on a 64-bit version later? :confused:

Thanks.

The main thing you need to know is that you never should put in the key and activate during the install. You get 30 days off the bat, and someone will post the commands (I forget) to rearm that timer. Then, when you are sure, load it natively on the PC, load your drivers, and take advantage of that 30 day time to make sure the system is running right before you activate.

In fact, I wouldn't even bother with virtualizing it. You can run the Upgrade Advisor now, and even if you try it out in a VM, you still aren't seeing it to it's full potential, or using your native hardware. Image your current install, load Windows 7 natively, and try it out. Once you are set and happy with it, pop in the key and activate. If for some unique reason you can't get it to work, lay down your image of your current install, and you'll be back up and running.

Don't bother putting in your license key until your new pc arrives. I also intalled win7 on my netbook but want to try it out first so i skipped the license page. I have another 15 days to decide if i'll get a license for it or go back to XP.

No reason why you couldn't do the same.

You still get the updates and the driver searches even without the license key.

3rding dont use the license key for at least 30 days, and you can rearm it for 90 or 120 days after that before you really need to put the key in anyway.

don't activate it, run it in trial and re-arm for another 30 days when it is close to expiring.

also, what features do you need in Ultimate that home premium didn't have?

1. Install Windows 7 without any product activation key.
2. After installation is completed, use the Windows 7 for 30 days and wait for the remaining days left to activate Windows counting down to 0, or almost zero.
3. When the activation grace period (or evaluation trial period) is almost expired or ended, log on to Windows 7 desktop, and open a Command Prompt window (i.e. type Cmd in Start Search and hit Enter).
4. Type any of the following commands into the command prompt, and then hit Enter:

sysprep /generalize

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr /rearm
5. Reboot Windows 7 to enjoy another 30 days of free usage without worrying about activation nor even need to crack Windows 7.
6. When the activation grace period countdown timer almost running down to 0 again, repeat the ‘rearm’ trick to enjoy another 30 days of Windows 7 for free. User can run the rearm command for maximum of 3 times.

I've bought a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate, and I would like to try it out right now through virtual pc. But I'm unsure if there is any limit to how soon before I can transfer the license to another PC (my new build, which is still 1-2 months away)

My questions are:
1. Is it ok if I activate it in a virtual PC now, and again on my new PC 1 month later?
2. Do I have to call them for the 2nd activation?
3. Can I activate it on a 32 bit version now, and then reactivate it on a 64-bit version later? :confused:

Thanks.

1. YES, but you will have to call MS for the second activation.
2. YES.
3. YES, but you will have to call MS for the second activation.

In the end if you want to just try it out now, skip activation, just use it as it is and then use slmgr /rearm command so you can use it for a total of 120 days. :D

In the end if you want to just try it out now, skip activation, just use it as it is and then use slmgr /rearm command so you can use it for a total of 120 days. :D

I believe it is up to 180 days. I have tried myself.

I agree, don't put your key in during installation, when you get to that screen just press next.

don't activate it, run it in trial and re-arm for another 30 days when it is close to expiring.

also, what features do you need in Ultimate that home premium didn't have?

Hey! I didn't know this! Thanks!

BTW, would you be able to install MS security essentials? Haven't actually tried it on a netbook. The thing's too slow to support an active scanner.

I meant would it install without needing to get validated?

Alright, thanks for all the answers. :D
I didnt know that either, that we can extend the activation period

@MrGuvernment, I actually got it at a special offer price, and maybe I'm just greedy too:D
Thought maybe I can use those extra security features, the encryption thing

Back