• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about weakest link

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
3,661
I'm just not sure if my logic is correct but please let me know.

If I look at the task manager and see how my CPU and RAM is being used, if I'm not maxing out one or both of those, does it mean that I'm being limited by disk speed? or are there other unseen bottlenecks that I am unaware of.
 
Which specific task is giving you the impression that you're suffering from any bottleneck?
 
If I'm playing Civ V, the amount of time it takes to calculate the moves for a turn is really long, yet I don't see any of the cores of my q9550 to be hitting 100%, neither is my RAM (8GB).
 
What are your video card(s), monitor(s), and resolution?

I might as well ask: What HDD/SSD are you using?
 
Here is the drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148337

Using a GTX260 and I only game on the primary monitor, a 22" 1680x1050 screen.

and some more info you may need, apologies for the bigness:

76846955.png


side note - my OC seems to have reverted back to stock but that's another issue.
 
A new, better video card and an SSD may aid your gaming performance in general. However, as I'm unfamiliar with Civ V, I can't tell you how much of an improvement you would see with each upgrade.

A bit off tangent, but have you tried looking for any third-party mods or "hacks" that would allow you to, say, use more of your resources in Civ V? Your overall specs are pretty good for a gaming system.
 
I'll need to look into those mods/hacks, it's a fairly new game so I'm sure performance will improve with time. I'm quite sure that my storage system is the slowest link in general computing, but this is a good example of something that I assumed not to have too much disk I/O yet still was not fully utilizing my system. For that reason, I was wondering if maybe some unseen RAM to CPU bus or something could be saturated (I'm not a hardware expert, so that may not even make sense - just thinking out loud here).

Oh, and you should become familiar with Civ V, it's all sorts of fun. ;)

Anyway, thanks for the time, I appreciate it.
 
Back
Top