Question about WC'ing

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2x Q6600 quad G0's running stock at 2.4 Ghz ATM :). I have 2x lower performance GPU cards, a eVGA 9600GSO and a eVGA 8800GS. I have the shaders on both cards OC'ed to 1620 by the graph chart in the Precision program.

I've had this MCW60-R WB in my closet hoping to get some kind of windfall so I could get a GTX260, a bigger PSU, whatever else and put the GPU under water. Welp, my curiosity got the best of me today. Using some of the several HS's I had, I put the WB on the eVGA 8800GS and took the AccelS1 R2 off the 8800 and put it on the "dual slot" eVGA 9600GSO (musical VGA cards :D).

I have my rads (two MCR220's with shrouded HS Yate Loons pulling) and pumps (two MCP350's, stock tops) in separate containers (empty cat litter buckets) sitting on the window sill. (I have bowed Apogee GT WB's on each CPU) According to an indoor/outdoor thermometer the air reaching my rads via some ducting (good ole' ducktape and cardboard) is about 15c degrees. My apartment ambient temp (another indoor/outdoor thermometer) is between 21c and 23c degrees. The question I have is if the the WC'ed 8800 is reading about 30c degrees with Precision (which it is) and the 9600GSO is reading about 48c degrees also with Precision. Does this sound even remotely possible or are my sensors all fubared. :rolleyes:

My CPU's are about 24c to 28c degrees all around (are their sensor screwed up, I checked them with the sticking test in Real Temp 3.0 and they were cool). My temps are taken while using the F@H GPU2 client on core #3 and the WCG client locked on cores #0, #1, and #2. My boxen are 24/7 crunchers. If the above temps are accurate I'm gonna' get a gimongus pump and cool the hell outa' everything :) (I'm even gonna' WC' the cat if I can find a suitable WB, only kiddin :D)

Thanks for some imput. I know the cards are lower voltage (only one 6 pin connection) so they would run cooler I was just wondering how a mega card would fair. :confused: (Don't laugh these temps are recorded while DCing.)

DCing for the CURE

The real question is did you get a noticeable increase in production for all the effort? I found the answer was usually no with water cooling, especially on the GPU side.

The real question is did you get a noticeable increase in production for all the effort? I found the answer was usually no with water cooling, especially on the GPU side

Nope, no increase in production, but then I really didn't expect any. What I was asking was if my GPU temps were in the ballpark for GPU2ing with a lower performance card. Along with if I was to get a more performance orientated type card like a GTX260 or better, if it would be more practical and more efficient (temp wise) to use water (I already have WCing stuff)

As far as the effort part, I look at it as a hobby and I enjoy tinkering with computer stuff.

DCing for the CURE

I think those temps are fine, I assume you think they're too low? I've found that my gpu temps almost always mirror my cpu temps, as my water is at a pretty constant temp hitting both my quad and my gpu. I think once the water temp hits equilibrium, temps stay about the same for both, if that makes any sense. So right now the gpu temp is roughly 40C on normal room air which is about 66ish F in here right now. My cpu is hovering between 41C and 47C depending on the core.

I'm not surprised your temps are that low, having cool air on the rad will make a HUGE diff as you're able to transfer more heat into a never ending supply of cold air.

I under stand your interest in WC and concern for temps. Done right WC is a great thing! Done wrong, or expecting miracles is a bad thing. I heat, cool, move water and steam plus control it for a living. One would think I could make the uncommon happen.

As of last weekend I ordered $410 in water cooling parts. Just to cool my Q6600 and set my case up for the new 7 build I want to do after there is a major stepping changes in cpu and mother board revisions. I just can't part with the old Li case which is jam packed.

Stock:
http://www.dansdata.com/pc602.htm

Most folks would blow that box off.

Sure I could air cool it even on 7. But it will be water from now on. For god sakes I cool puter's that make Wal-Mart, AA, GM, (loosers) nuke, coal and NG power plant run.Time for me to step up on the home boxen. Here it is on air.

S7300290.JPG

Here are the root parts going into it.

new_parts.jpg

Do as you want! And beat your head on the desk every hose clamp, dremal cut! :)

Back