• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about ULi M1695/1567 etc.

Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
731
( Technically, this is a motherboard topic, but kinda VC-centric. Mods please move if innappropriate)

Just read the review linked from front page. Just curious if any of you have more information about this type of board. Specifically if Nvidia or Via has plans to make a board that will also offer support for PCI-e and AGP on the same board.

The reason I ask is that I will probably be doing a system upgrade late this year or ealy next. I usually don't upgrade system and video card at the same time (to avoid a huge cash outlay all at once). Problem is that when I do upgrade the system, I want to have PCI-e capapbility, so as not to be using already obsolete tech, but don't want to have to dump my 6600GT AGP just yet.

Is this a valid solution? When I think of dual tech solutions I remember Intel's MTH and that sort of thing. They never seem to perform up to expectations. I would also prefer to see an Nvidia ( or even VIA ) implementation of this type as I love my Nforce2, and haven't had bad experiences with any of the Via products I've owned, but have never used any Uli ( Ali ? ) based stuff because they always seemed to lack performance/features.

Any thoughts?

 
VIA's PT880 for P4 supports both slot types, but I haven't seen any motherboards that take advantage of this. Original specs also said the K8T890 for K8 would have the same thing, but I think VIA took the AGP interface out for the final revision. Bastards!
 
Albatross is making an adapter for AGP cards to put in a PCI-e slot, I think it is suppose to come out in July.
 
I'm not entirely sure, but I think k8t890 MAY still have agp stuff in there somewhere. I know that in both linux and windows, my AX8 (k8t890 based) always ends up having an agp subsystem detected.
 
Most other AGP on PCIe board solutions are simply AGP running on the PCI bus(AGP is just a supercharged PCI bus). ULi's solution actually adds a fully functional AGP port and runs it over HT. ULi's solution gives you as close to AGP as you can get on a PCIe board.

ULi has really turned themselves around and now are a first class chipset maker.
 
Dew said:
Most other AGP on PCIe board solutions are simply AGP running on the PCI bus(AGP is just a supercharged PCI bus). ULi's solution actually adds a fully functional AGP port and runs it over HT. ULi's solution gives you as close to AGP as you can get on a PCIe board.

ULi has really turned themselves around and now are a first class chipset maker.
Well

I could never use a ULi Chipset :( Sommething about them... ULi , Sis, Ali, Via all low end to me.... compared to Intel, NVidia...

However... Maybe they will turn themselfs into a large competetor.. but still I think they dont have that.
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
Well
I could never use a ULi Chipset :( Sommething about them... ULi , Sis, Ali, Via all low end to me.... compared to Intel, NVidia...

Consider this: three years ago, you you have given DFI a second thought?

Consider this: ULi makes most of the south bridges for ATI's crossfire boards because ATI can't get their SB bug free.
 
Back
Top