Question about the mx510 weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipo

Gawd
So my mx300 recently died on me and I replaced it with a red mx510 bought off Newegg last week. I don't know if it was mental or what but I immediately noticed it felt heavier. I had heard about the weight mod so I googled one up. When I took it apart, I didn't see the weight as shown in pics and my mx510 still feels like a rock compared to my mx300. What gives! Is it possible they made mx510's without the weights inside?

I used the guide found here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1189/

I just removed the weight in mine yesterday. It was in the exact spot as shown in that article..

if you think the 510 is heavy, you won't even be able to budge the MX1000 :p

Apparently 510's built after a certain time don't have the weight in them, just like the 518 doesn't have one either (but is a tad heavier than the 510 w/o the weight). I've read that if you like really light weight, you should try the MX300 or a Razer Diamondback.

A light mouse is the best mouse. Thats why I cannot use a wireless mouse ever.

I just removed mine for shits and giggles. I prefer the weight being in there though.

it's that big brass-looking piece of metal screwed into the top. you can't miss it.

mx1000 is a great mouse and it is much lighter than the ms explorer I had before. Anyone that says the mouse is too heavy needs to get the doritos out of your mouth and go to the freaking gym. Thats pretty pathetic to even say such a statement. I would at least side with you if you think it was bulky because for people with smaller hands it is but to say it's heavy? LOL

Umm guys, I DO workout 5 times a week lol. This mouse feels extra heavy cuz I'm coming off using a very lightweight mx300 and top of it, I use a sensitivity of .65 in the games I play online. So playing a game for an hour or two at that sensi can really wear you out. =/

What kind of mouse pad are you using, I use the smooth side of a Func sUrface 1030. Its really nice especially for UT2K4 online. BTW, I got my red MX510 from newegg as well, 28 bucks, can't beat it! I upgraded from an MX500 so getting used to it was not an issue, but you will get used to it if you stick with it.

Logic tells us that the lighter your mouse is, the faster you can move it, no matter how much you possibly work out. Moving your mouse faster than the other guy can sometimes be all that it takes to get the frag.

Just another small way to gain a slight advantage over the competition.

Why would they put that weight in there in the first place? Any benefits for a heavier mouse?

eddie500 said:
Why would they put that weight in there in the first place? Any benefits for a heavier mouse?
Couple of theories are that more weight seems to be a (subliminal) mark of quality (balance?), or without the weight it becomes so light that the mouse might tend to move a bit when you hit the buttons. In either case, this guy took it further :D

I have been into gaming since 1995, and my mouses were of upmost importance. I have to say I have no problems with the weight of the mx510. Its very light. I would never of noticed it was heavy.

burningrave101 said:
Maybe you guys just need to work out once in a while :p.

Yeah, I agree. Some people blow this mouse weight out of porportion. Seriously guys, if you can't lift or move a MX1000, then you should really hit the gym.

More effort at the computer=burning calories. Many of us are already fat and lazy, at least your mouse hand can get a work out. :D

Why is it everytime someone mentions the weight of a mouse, someone always comes along and throws the "not enough time spent in the gym" comment. This is far from the truth however. The weight of the mouse can be to your preference, but when you throw physics in the mix, the lighter the mouse, the better. I'm not saying the ideal mouse would be weightless though, I think there should be atleast a little weight to give a better feel for the movement. The heavier the mouse, the more effort it is going to take to stop that mouse when you're moving it around. Momentum is going to want to keep that mouse moving, and when you need pixel accuracy, it is going to be more difficult to get that mouse to stop where you want it. From my experience, this can cause the mouse to bounce around slightly. I guess you could keep your hand in a constant state of tension while you're mousing to reduce the effects, but I don't think anyone's capable of that for long periods of time. If you like heavy mice, then good for you, but just because someone prefers lighter mice doesn't mean they are incapable of operating heavier mice.

Pipo said:
Umm guys, I DO workout 5 times a week lol. This mouse feels extra heavy cuz I'm coming off using a very lightweight mx300 and top of it, I use a sensitivity of .65 in the games I play online. So playing a game for an hour or two at that sensi can really wear you out. =/

Well if do workout then should be familiar with a thing call "conditioning" you'll get use to it..... :rolleyes:

It's pretty simply, really. Smaller muscles give you more precise control. Smaller muscles get tired more easily and are harder to strengthen. Most people, even people who work out, do not have incredibly strong muscles in their hands and wrist, which is more or less what you use for a mouse. I hope no one is using their forearm for mousing, anyway......

For that matter, a really heavy mouse is going to give you more potential problems with tendon strain and whatnot.

That being said, I use an MX500 and it feels fine to me. I'm thinking about getting an MX1000 and we'll see how that goes. I have pretty damn strong hands from fencing so I'm not exactly worried about it.

Blackrain, your worthless flames aren't exactly welcomed. And by far I can tell you are not at all a competitive gamer (or professional gamer). Almost all gamers of that group will tell you that they prefer lighter weight over heavy. The secret to getting headshots is the weight. You wonder why I’ve been able to increase my accuracy by switching from an MX510 to a Diamondback? The weight and design. I’ve posted a while ago of my average accuracy differences between those two mouses. I’ve increased an average of 5-20%. I think that alone speaks for itself.

And perhaps you should try using .65 sensitivity. To keep playing for one or two hours, that is pretty good for the extra hand movements you make. It really has nothing to do with the gym, so keep your ignorant-minded crap to yourself.

-J.

Apallohadas said:
Seriously! How many ounces does it weigh? 5K???

:rolleyes: A light mouse is best for twitch style game play. Fast paced games like Quake3 or UT2004. With a heavy mouse you get a slight bounce at the end of your twitch shots, not as accurate.

Gibo said:
It's pretty simply, really. Smaller muscles give you more precise control. Smaller muscles get tired more easily and are harder to strengthen. Most people, even people who work out, do not have incredibly strong muscles in their hands and wrist, which is more or less what you use for a mouse.
WRONG.

People who work out 'properly' have to strengthen their hands and wrist especially, or they risk injurying themselves when they lift/exercise. I do see musclemarys lifting improperly with wierd grips because they think 'it makes the hand stronger', when all they're doing is increasing the chance of the bar slipping and making their chest into a barbell pitstop.

The brainsurgeon using his 'rolleyes' smiley may want to do some research on reflex conditioning. Then again, the mouse may be to heavy to move to the address bar :(

Mod Edit:
The [H]ard|Forum Rule:
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING OR NAME CALLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back