Question about the IP address on an OS running in Microsoft's Virtual PC

Hey there...I was wondering something...do you have a different IP address in an OS when running one in Microsoft's Virtual PC...like let's say I setup an OS on this computer...I connect it to the internet...will the IP address be the same as mine or will it be different??? Can you change the IP address to whatever??? THANX
C'YA :cool:

Well I don't know how microsoft's program works, but I do know how vmware works and I imagine it would work similarly. In vmware you can set it up a couple ways. Either the OS in the virtual session will grab another ip address from the network(so that it is on the same subnet as the host computer) or it will set up a private network bridge between the host and the guest OSes. If it sets up a private bridge network, then the host and the guest get private, non-routable ip addresses and then the guest has to go through the host to access the network.

There's also a 3rd option. The virtual machines can be set to only see each other, as if they're on a completely different, unconnected network.

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
Hey there...I was wondering something...do you have a different IP address in an OS when running one in Microsoft's Virtual PC...like let's say I setup an OS on this computer...I connect it to the internet...will the IP address be the same as mine or will it be different??? Can you change the IP address to whatever??? THANX
C'YA :cool:

It depends on how your network is setup, any OS in Virtual PC will need its *own* IP address. Since Virtual PC has no built in Nating capabalities, nor does it have any of the other advanced networking options as VMWare, you most likely need to use DHCP from a router, statically assign IPS, or use ICS for internet sharing.

If your not using any of the above and your physical computer is connected directly to your ISPs cable or dsl modem, then the Virtual OS will not work as it wont pull any additional IPs from the ISP that you are not entitled to.

Back