Question about the Dell 2405fpw....

Maul

Weaksauce
Would the Dell 2405 be the best option for PC & Xbox360 gaming for my bedroom setup?

I'm really wanting the widescreen for the new Xbox HD games.

How does this monitor look for 720p & 1080i games. Does it look better than CRT or as good?

Seriously considering purchasing the 2405.

The stretching capabilities of this monitor are pretty bad. I just hooked up my xbox (via component) to it and it looks like crap. All I tested was Forza which is 480p but I seriously doubt 720p would look much better. I have a lcd front projector that stretches xbox stuff WAY better. So I would say yes this is a kick butt computer monitor but it's a waste for xbox. :(

Just to clarify, it's not the fact that it's a lcd that makes xbox look bad. It's the crappy internal stretching. I'm sure a lcd TV would do a much better job and look a ton better.

Yeah I ordered a Samsung LN-R238W 23" widescreen.

This should be good for the XB360 right?

Hope it will be decent for PC as well via PC inputs it sports.

turtles said:
The stretching capabilities of this monitor are pretty bad. I just hooked up my xbox (via component) to it and it looks like crap. All I tested was Forza which is 480p but I seriously doubt 720p would look much better. I have a lcd front projector that stretches xbox stuff WAY better. So I would say yes this is a kick butt computer monitor but it's a waste for xbox. :(

Just to clarify, it's not the fact that it's a lcd that makes xbox look bad. It's the crappy internal stretching. I'm sure a lcd TV would do a much better job and look a ton better.

Is 2005FPW any different from 2405FPW? Because I hooked up my Xbox via S-Video to my 2005FPW and I gotta say everything looks awesome, and I'm only playing in 480i not even 480p through S-Video. Is it because 2005FPW has better stretching capabilities or something?

Good question.

Not worried about the 480i or 480p games.

I want to know how Xbox360 games supporting 720p & 1080i would look on the 2405fpw.

I read that the Max res for the Xbox360 will be 1920x1080.

Also it will have vga connectivity.

Would the XB360 look better on the dell 2405fpw or the Samsung LN-R238W 23" widescreen HDTV 1366x768?

Can anyone answer this?

720p looks good on the 2405fpw, at least for the couple of regular Xbox games that support it. 480p looks crappy (too low of a resolution) and the aspect ratio isn't correct either.

I personally seriously think it difffers from person to person. Once I put my Xbox into widescreen from the dashboard it never failed to fill up the entire screen, and since I'm running S-Video all I can do is 480i, but they all look awesome to me. I can only imagine how much better games will look in 480p and 720p.

peacetilence said:
720p looks good on the 2405fpw, at least for the couple of regular Xbox games that support it. 480p looks crappy (too low of a resolution) and the aspect ratio isn't correct either.

When you say, "the aspect ratio isn't correct either." ... are you saying that when playing a game in 720p there will be black bars on the on the sides or does the game appear distorted?

I'm planning to get a 2405 for PC use aswell as Xbox360 use and I just wanna make sure I won't be dissapointed with it.

Unknown-One said:
You did remember to put your X-BOX into widescreen mode, didnt you? :rolleyes:

Hah that will distort things even more, the monitor doesn't scale 16:9 480p aspect correctly at all. Everything will look super skinny and regular 4:3 480p takes up too much of the screen, instead of covering 4:3 it's something like 4.25666:3.125555 making everything fatter than it should be. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 720p is geometrically correct with the correct aspect ratio scaled. Don't knock people and underestimate their intelligence when you have no idea what you're talking about. It just makes you look like the idiot.

tpizarro said:
When you say, "the aspect ratio isn't correct either." ... are you saying that when playing a game in 720p there will be black bars on the on the sides or does the game appear distorted?

I'm planning to get a 2405 for PC use aswell as Xbox360 use and I just wanna make sure I won't be dissapointed with it.

720p shows up perfectly but 480p is stretched out more than it should be so everything looks fatter. If a 720p game were to use 480p intro screens or movies, ect, they would be geometrically distorted.

So in the end the scaler for this monitor isn't great and the added inputs are pretty much useless for anything other than 720p.

As for those saying that the Xbox looks fine in 16:9 mode. You're using the stretch option to scale the image aren't you? The monitor is 16:10 so the geometry isn't correct that way. The image will appear skinny. What may look good and tolerable to you may look cheap and crappy to other people. My 27" CRT TV had a bowing image from a crappy tube and I thought it was garbage, I can't accept such distortrion that makes people look like they're extremely dolichocephalic. I wan't a perfect image, especially from LCD technology that is meant to offer perfect geometry from the start.

I ran some tests from my xbox to my 2405FPW via component today. As has already been said, 480P doesn't look very good at all - a lot of interpolation is involved to scale the image to fill the screen, and as a result the picture is full of jaggies and there's obvious noise (this whilst using the official MS cable).

However, playing a game that runs in 720P - i.e. Soul Calibur II - is a completely different matter. Suddenly, all the noise disappears, and the picture looks pinpoint sharp, whilst colours look very vivid. 1080i also looks fantastic: XBMC and Avalanche never looked so good! So in that respect, this screen really handles high-definition interlaced pictures well, as well as 720P and upwards. You should be able to take from this that the next gen consoles will look pretty hunky dorey running on this Dell screen.

I haven't tried out s-video or composite yet.

k. I'm pretty much sold on the 2405 now. I just gotta try to negotiate a good price for it. I atleast gotta cut down the price of shipping and tax.

Back