question about that 100mb partition

I bet you have reinstalled the OS at one time on the drive without deleting the partitions? Are your bootmgr and bootsect.bak files (hidden) on your C:\ drive? They should be in that 100MB partition.

I bet you have reinstalled the OS at one time on the drive without deleting the partitions? Are your bootmgr and bootsect.bak files (hidden) on your C:\ drive? They should be in that 100MB partition.
yes I re installed it but I thought I deleted what I was supposed to. it only showed the one 930mb part when I started the actual Windows install.

does it hurt anything to have it like it is right now? and how do I see if those files are on my C drive?

yes I re installed it but I thought I deleted what I was supposed to. it only showed the one 930mb part when I started the actual Windows install.

does it hurt anything to have it like it is right now? and how do I see if those files are on my C drive?
When you install you typically delete even the partitions available so all that is shown as unallocated space, click that, then next. That would allow Windows to properly create and use the partitions.

To see the files, open Windows Explorer, click on C:\, then press Organize-> Folder and Search Options. Uncheck hide hidden files and uncheck hide operating system files. You should see the files I listed.

When you install you typically delete even the partitions available so all that is shown as unallocated space, click that, then next. That would allow Windows to properly create and use the partitions.

To see the files, open Windows Explorer, click on C:\, then press Organize-> Folder and Search Options. Uncheck hide hidden files and uncheck hide operating system files. You should see the files I listed.
well I thought that is what I did before i clicked next because it only showed the one thing which was the drive with unallocated space.

EDIT: I just checked disk management so does this look correct?

image host

Last edited:
As I explained in another thread:

The system reserved partition has the Boot folder stored on it & after 7 came it out, it's standard for that partition to be 300MB when you use BitLocker. MS took a page from UNIX/Linux in regards to storing the boot info on another partition.

I was only asking why hdtune was showing it as using 0%. disk management shows that 72% of it is free so I guess that means 28% is being used which I assume would be correct though.

hdtune might not have the ability to read partitions that don't have a drive letter correctly. Just a guess. I'm not sure if it has the hidden tag on it or not...

hdtune might not have the ability to read partitions that don't have a drive letter correctly. Just a guess. I'm not sure if it has the hidden tag on it or not...
yes I now think that is simply the issue. I was just looking at hdtune for my temps and noticed it said that so I was worried I had done something wrong. after later looking at disk management though it appears everything is in order.

You could apply a drive letter to it & see if hdtune can read it correctly.

Back