• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Question about switching from AMD to Intel

Rajaxx

n00b
Joined
May 6, 2012
Messages
18
OS: Windows 7 64 Home Premium
CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz Quad
MOBO: ASUSTeK M5A97
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 670
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 Patriot 1333MHz
PSU: CoolerMaster 850W
Res: 1680 x 1050 (SyncMaster 225BW) 1440 x 900 (Hanns-g HW173D)


For the past year, I have been using this computer that I bought off a friend. When I originally bought it, it had different parts, than what I have listed above.

Since it was a starter, I ended up buying a new hard drive, Graphics Card, and Power Supply for the comp, and it worked out great. However, when I got the ASUSTeK M5A97 and AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad, and installed it over at my friend's house, the issue we had was that the Motherboard was not detecting the Hard Drive, and then 30 minutes later, would not detect the Graphics Card, to the point of where the computer had to be reformatted over night, in order to get every thing to work with the Motherboard.


Well, today, I am heading out to Compusa in an hour, to go buy an Intel i7 3770k, and this motherboard here, if they happen to have it:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=353599&CatId=7212


So here's my issue... The only time I used Intel, was back when I used a Slimline Computer for gaming, until I bought this new computer, and upgraded every thing in it once ( and now it will be twice. ) I am switching over to Intel, because it has the power I need, that the AMD Processors just don't have.

If I put in this new motherboard ( or any other motherboard if I can't find the one I want, ) and Processor, along with my current PC Specs, am I going to encounter an issue where it won't detect a certain part? I really do not want to Reformat the computer again just so the Motherboard accepts every thing.
 
You will definitely have to do a fresh Windows Install and would be foolish to try booting with your current OS. Chances are you will just blue screen anyway as AMD and Intel have no common ground driver wise at all.
Make sure to update to your boards latest Bios upon first boot, before installing the OS.
 
So essentially, I will have to reinstall all my games and stuff again. Crap...

The other thing is, I don't have the disk for Windows 7. Since my friend put it on the comp when he gave it to me, I will have to get it from him.

Edit: I have to question that logic, because my friend, who has built PCs for the past four years, told me that I wouldn't have to do a Fresh Install, only update to the latest Bios...
 
Last edited:
If you are switching from amd to intel you will need to do a fresh os install,bios has nothing to do with that.

So you will need to reinstall all your games and anything you have on the same hard drive as your os,unless you had a second drive/partition that had all of those stored there.
 
So essentially, I will have to reinstall all my games and stuff again. Crap...

The other thing is, I don't have the disk for Windows 7. Since my friend put it on the comp when he gave it to me, I will have to get it from him.

Edit: I have to question that logic, because my friend, who has built PCs for the past four years, told me that I wouldn't have to do a Fresh Install, only update to the latest Bios...

You do what you want but it ain't gonna work and you buddy doesn't know what he's talking about.
 
You can just swap it, if you make sure to remove drivers and all, I moved my 1090t install to my sr2 with a few small issues, but it is possible
 
i dont understand why he cant just uninstall all the AMD drivers before shutting it down for the upgrade?

windows 7 seems to handle these kinds of swaps much better than xp, imo.
 
so, you swapped out the components originally, and they didn't work right so you had to reinstall?



I also don't really understand why you have a beast of a graphics card running two little monitors with low resolutions...

I remember your other thread where people suggested you overclock that fx, I guess you never tried that. Seems odd to spend the kind of cash you are going to be spending.
 
I don't understand the logic of getting your new Intel rig and not being willing, indeed excited about putting it together correctly.
Even if you could uninstall everything AMD, shut it down and try to let Win 7 pick up the pieces, why would you ? You will be forever wondering when the crash is coming.
Windows 7 to it's credit can function with many errors that you may never notice. Do it right and rest easy !
 
Reinstall.

Its good practice.

And partition your hard drive, 50gb for OS and the rest for data/programs.
 
Back
Top