• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about SSD's..

cracknub

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 1, 2010
Messages
64
I plan on buying a 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 for my boot drive, while installing all my games on a 640gb WD black drive.

-Will my games benefit at all from the SSD?
-If not, since just about all my games come from Steam, would it be plausible to have separate Steam installations on each drive? The one on the SSD with the game I play the most, while the other is for game I do not. Can I even do that with Steam?
-Recommend any other ssd purely for performance reasons.



-If this question has come up in a thread before, please refer me to it. Also, is "Data Storage Systems" the right section to post inquiries about hard drives?
 
-Will my games benefit at all from the SSD?
Of course. Put the things you use most on the SSD if that can fit. Well except I would not bother putting mp3s or movies on a SSD since faster loading does not help and there are much better things you can put on an ssd.

-If this question has come up in a thread before, please refer me to it.
This topic comes up weekly..

Also, is "Data Storage Systems" the right section to post inquiries about hard drives?

This is the correct place to talk about hard drives, sdds or any other device you put a filesystem on. And also HBAs and RAID controllers.
 
Of course. Put the things you use most on the SSD if that can fit. Well except I would not bother putting mp3s or movies on a SSD since faster loading does not help and there are much better things you can put on an ssd.

So your saying that I would have to have two installations of Steam?
 
Okay cool. Now would you say the OCZ Vertex 2 would be my best bet for performance when it comes to gaming?
 
An Intel 120GB ssd is also a good option. This was discussed heavily this week on this forum so read up..
 
And BTW, what I mean about juncion points is with that you can put almost any non system folder on the SSD and make it appear as a folder in the hard drive (without duplication) and visa-versa.
 
Back
Top