• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

question about source video stress test...

Dr. X

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 27, 2000
Messages
7,060
When I run the stress test at 1280x1024 4xaa 8xaf with vsync off I get ~94fps. That seems about right with the comp in my sig. But I hate texture tearing so I usually leave vsync on. What is odd though is that if I turn it on and run the test, I get ~64fps, but my monitor refresh is 85hz. Why is this?
 
vsync ties the video card redraw with the monitor redraw. At 85hz on the monitor, you're going to get a maximum of 85fps. Should the GPU not be able to maintain a steady 85fps, it will drop to 1 frame every 2 redraws of the monitor screen (85 frames drawn in 2 seconds), which will cause the drop in average fps you're seeing.

In practice, vsync seems pretty much useless to me. Even a high-end system can't keep minimum fps above the refresh rate of the monitor constantly if you play at a decently high resolution. An occasional halving of the frame rate pretty much ruins the visual experience for me. I don't particularly want to play all games at 8x6 or 10x7 to maintain minimum fps above the monitor refresh rate.
 
Ahhh...I see. I did not realize this. Thanks for the info.
 
That's sp weird..my ltra runs 1600x1200 4xaa/16xaf with 91 fps.... :confused:
 
Back
Top