Question about sound when converting

Ok, so my work has a DVD player that can play DIVX files, and I have a few DVD-RW discs, so I have been using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate to recode movies to DIVX, so I could put multiple movies on a single disc to watch at work. Only problem is, the sound of the converted files, more aptly the voices in the movies, are quite low. The action scenes etc...are almost always louder, to the point we are constantly turning up and down the volume.

How can I fix this? Is it an issue with the source? Most of the files I have to recode are H.264/mp4. It seems to convert them just fine, and last night I tried audio boost to 125%, but that actually made it worse, in that the non speaking scenes were really loud, and the voices were louder, but still hard to hear. The original source audio sounds fine, so it's not that.

I'm open to any tips, other programs etc...just want to get this done good. I had tried handbrake unsuccessfully, almost all of the output files either looked like crap, or didn't have any sound at all.

I have to get some sleep, so I will check back later today...

Thanks all!

Maybe your encoder is encoding the AC3 5.1 tracks to stereo, missing the centre/surround off which will make some speech almost none existent while some is fine.
Or you are playing back 5.1 as stereo, again missing the centre/surround channels with the same effect.

Back