Question about Socket 478 HSF

Stankia

n00b
Hi guys, so the computer I'm working on has a 478 Socket and that part which screws on the motherboard and holds the clips from the HSF is broken. Some pics:

IMG_6083.jpg

You can see this part is broken:

IMG_6086.jpg

My question is, when you buy a new HSF is that black part included? It would be nice if I could buy this part only, because the HSF itself works properly. Thanks.

As far as buying a new HSF, I don't think the bracket comes with it unless the hsf itself had a different holding mechanism than stock.

As for the bracket itself, Here's a place you can buy a replacement bracket. Seems like a pretty good price and Resellerrating rating seems good too.

Thanks man. But why is that bracket different? That black circle in the middle would block the CPU.

Looks like a bottom bracket to me which means that it'll be on the other side of the motherboard from the CPU to give some added support to the bracket.

Thanks man. But why is that bracket different? That black circle in the middle would block the CPU.

Like wooly said, that part comes off and fit under the motherboard to help brace the heatsink so that it's not just the motherboard taking the stress.

Ok thanks guys. Anyone know if someone caries that part locally? I checked Tigerdirect and Microcenter they don't have that part. I live in Chicago and need that part as soon as possible.

Ok thanks guys. Anyone know if someone caries that part locally? I checked Tigerdirect and Microcenter they don't have that part. I live in Chicago and need that part as soon as possible.

It's such an old platform I doubt any mainstream electronics retailor is going to carry it. You're best bet if you need it quick it to call around to a few computer shops to see if they have some old 478 motherboards you could scavange.

Back