Question about slot fans

pdp76

Weaksauce
I noticed quite a few people are using slot fans right next to the video card to cool their GPUs. Are most of you turning off the stock GPU fan and using the slot fan only, or do both the slot fan and the stock GPU fan run at the same time? I'm asking because I'm thinking about turning off (unplugging) the stock GPU fan on my x1650Pro and only using the slot fan for cooling. The stock fan is just way too loud for me. Would the slot fan provide enough cooling by itself?

I'm pretty sure everyone, except the people running passive cooling, are running the card's cooling in tandem with the slot cooler.

You'd probably have a dead video card if you turned off the fan on the heatsink.

You could buy a aftermarket cooler, that would be quieter and your card will run cooler.

You could buy a aftermarket cooler, that would be quieter and your card will run cooler.

I considered that, but I was first checking to see if this simpler method might work for me. I don't really want to deal with removing the stock HSF and attaching a new one. The x1650 fan is puny anyway, I don't understand how it can be so fracking loud!

I considered that, but I was first checking to see if this simpler method might work for me. I don't really want to deal with removing the stock HSF and attaching a new one. The x1650 fan is puny anyway, I don't understand how it can be so fracking loud!

Generally the smaller the fan the noisier.

Well you could try to mod the stock one to take a quieter fan.

Well I went out and got a Zalman VF700AlCu gpu cooler today for $25. Probably one of the best $25 I've ever spent, even though it was over 1/2 the cost of my video card! Anyway, it dropped my idle temps by 10C and load temps over 10C. Talk about night and day difference. Ambient temperature is a couple degrees lower now too. And best of all, it is SO MUCH quieter than that piece of crap stock fan, even at full speed. I'm so glad I did it. Changing out the HSF was actually easier than doing it on a CPU, I thought it would have been harder than a CPU.

Back