Question about Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
pjaank:

A nice processor comparison is here:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the Brisbane series of AM2s in it yet, but I think the performance numbers are equivalent to the 90 nm Windsor parts (Brisbane is a 65 nm part and runs cooler - a good trade off).

The Tom's page allows comparison of processors (and base systems built on them) based on price/performance. Lots of assumptions are built into this, but the plot is interesting to look at.


BTW, I, too, like(d) Shuttles and built three a few years back (two Intel P4s, one AMD Clawhammer). I'm still using all three. They are compact and have been reliable but upgrades are a no-no. I built several systems for clients just a few months later and came in about $150 under the Shuttles using MSI K8NGM2 mobos and Antec Aria cases (both no longer available but sucessors are ASUS M2NPV-VM and Antec NSK1300).

The choices in this thread are reasonable - looks like it will be a nice budget-driven system. Except....I'd go with the ASUS. I've been bitten by Abit a few times. They have changed their ways, I hear, but...

ss
 
Thanks for the link, I'll check that out. As for the mobo, I'm definitely not anti-Asus: every machine I've built has an Asus board. Just seems the Abit is highly recommended by folks here. Now, if I can't find the Abit board come build time, and it's successor isn't out, then it'll be the Asus going in.
 
Ok, I think I'm going to go w/ the 3600+ for now. Figure the extra money can be applied towards RAM, and I can always upgrade the proc later on. And besides, this machine is going to be worlds faster than what I've got now. EDIT: Hmm, that proc is OEM, so I'll have to figure out a cooler to get with it. Well, guess that's another thing to research and figure out. Guess I should be able to find something that works and works quietly.

Oh, and got the taxes done, so I can start ordering things. Think I'm going to get the case today!
 
Ok, so I ordered the case (MX6) yesterday, and the mobo (Abit NF-M2 nView) today. Made a couple of changes to my plan, and here's what's left:

- Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane ($140) (retail pkg)
- Corsair XMS2 1 gig (2x512) ($107)
- Seagate SATA HD ($90)
- Samsung SATA DVD+-R ($42)
- XP Pro w/ coupon for Vista ($140)

The only undecided thing is the vid card. Poking around the Egg, this one looks like a contender: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814150182
 
Ok, just finished up my order w/ the Egg. And the final build is (drum roll please):

- Ultra Micro Fly MX 6
- Abit NF-M2 nView
- Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane
- Corsair DDR800 (2x512)
- XFX GeForce 7600GT
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB
- Samsung SATA DVD +-R
- WinXP Pro (w/ upgrade coupon for Vista)

Thankfully all the decisions are now made. Thanks for everyone's input!
 
Well, from buy.com. They listed it as in-stock, so we'll see if they pull through. If they managed to screw up, then I'll be falling back on the Asus board for my backup.
 
Woo-hoo! Based on the estimated delivery dates, looks like I should have all the parts by the weekend. Only thing that isn't for certain is the case, UPS only has the billing info so far. And I realized one more decision I need to make - use the on-board audio, or move my old Soundblaster over. Nice thing about the current card is I can have a single (digital) cable running into my Creative speakers (4.1). Otherwise, need to pick up some more cabling.
 
Curses, UPS, curses! I checked the tracking for the SFF case after lunch, and it's claiming that no one was there to sign for it. What? I'm working from home - by the front window! Never saw a brown truck go by. Grrr.
 
Alrighty, had the motherboard show up this morning, and the case & psu showed up this afternoon. In looking at the design, I'm thankful for the removable mobo tray. Otherwise, it'd be a bear to try and get expansion cards plugged in under the PSU!

Rest of the parts should be here tomorrow, so, it's looking like I might be able to get to the build sometime this weekend. And of course, start up a new thread once I've got that going.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top