question about shrouds + rads

Momo

Gawd
Hi folks, i've got a dual AIO water cooled system (gtx680, i7920)

So... at the rear of the case (550d) i've got a corsair h80i in push/pull exhausting out the back of the case.

At the front of the case, i've got an Antec h20 620 cooling the GPU with push/pull fans bolted to the radiator. In order to make this AIO kit reach, i had to install a couple gutted fans between the front of the case and the push fan.
Like so: <fan<[rad]<fan<shroud<shroud<case< (< airflow)

would moving the push fan like this: <fan<[rad]<shroud<fan<shroud<case<

1. better cooling?
2. a little less noise?

The 'shrouds' are gutted 25mm thick fans.

Assuming this would be of benefit, i can only assume modifying the case further to accomodate shrouding as such would be ideal:

<fan<shroud<[rad]<shroud<fan<shroud<case<

whew, that's a lot of < ;)

Thanks for any input ya'll can provide.

Secondarily, as i think it will be much trickier to work on, are thin shrouds of any benefit for noise? like 7mm thick? i'm thinking of shrouding the h80i on both sides, so the fan isnt smushed right against it. dual 25mm shrouds would be so thick, the h80i pump would be covered completely ! :p

If I remember correctly, back in the day this was how you got the most unimpeded airflow out of a given fan. It essentially creates a wind tunnel. I know that you definitely want one between the fan & heat exchanger surface. Noise should be slightly lower also.

Of coarse there was another way to get high airflow back then. Just slap a Delta screamer on it if you didn't mind the noise.

i had 3 x Panafloa L1A's if i recall, those things on high literally hovered off the desk! epic airflow and static pressure ;) .. and they were loud! i can only imagine a delta tornado. lol

Thanks for your input!

Back