question about sharing a dial up connection on a LAN

tekcajder

Limp Gawd
i was wondering, my roommate has a laptop that has a modem and a wireless card (and she isn't using).

the wireless card is communicating with a linksys wireless accesspoint (a "wireless B router")

my tower (which i use for work) is hooked physically with a cat5 cable to the router and networked through her laptop wireless card

i was wondering if there was anyway i could configure my computer to use the dial up connection i'm getting on her laptop?

keeping the wireless connection is important (ive been told i could do it with a crossover cable - but its a distance and she doesn't want wires running in to her room plus i don't have the money for a modem right now .... not that they're expensive, i just don't want to buy one if i don't have to)

anyhow, i know its a retarded question, but any suggestions would be helpful.

cheers - tek.

tekcajder said:
lol, yea, lucky for me .... anyone else have any suggestions?
I would have to agree with the ICS method because it is easiest to setup and requires no cost and no additional software. Use Cat5 patch cable from the NIC to the access point. Go into the AP settings and set the gateway to the IP of the computer with the modem (use ipconfig to find this.) It is important that you set the IP you get via the router as a static IP for that NIC. The NIC's gateway should be left blank.

Back