• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about setting up Windows on new SSD

mwelling12

n00b
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
30
Happy Holidays everyone.

I recently purchased a new 64GB SSD drive and want to transfer my existing Windows 7 64-bit installation onto it without reinstalling Windows, if possible. I'm home for the holidays and my installation disc is 300 miles away. I know that I could make an image of my existing hard drive or clone and copy this to the new SSD, but the problem is, my current drive has over 300GB of data on it. The drive is not partitioned.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to proceed with setting up Windows on my new SSD? I figure I could borrow a Windows 7 installation disc and install with my existing key (I wrote the key down and have it with me) but I'm afraid it won't let me proceed, as it has already been used on the existing Windows installation, and I don't want to delete this one until I'm sure the SSD is good to go. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 
hmm, I too would like to know this. As I am thinking about an ssd drive..getting one.
 
Just use a borrowed install media, but don't put in a key. You'll have a month to get everything set-up and then you could activate with your key after you've migrated all your data off your current HDD. At most, you might have to call up Microsoft to get it to validate, but just tell them what you're doing and you shouldn't have any issues. They're very good about these kind of situations.
 
I know that I could make an image of my existing hard drive or clone and copy this to the new SSD,

Not recommended to clone a HD to an SSD due to possible alignment issues, and if you don't want to be messing around with making changes to Win7 once you clone it over (assuming it doesn't bork the alignment of the SSD), your best bet is a clean Win7 install.

Win7 does several things differently on an SSD install versus a HD install, and also properly sets the alignment on a clean install. Best way to go imho.

Some good info here on SSD's for all new owners.....

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx
 
Back
Top