• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about setting crossover with full range fronts + sub

dydx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
189
Inspired by the thread below on why bother getting bigger fronts when the sub ends up handling the lower frequencies anyways, I just thought I would ask a simple crossover question.

I've got a set of Jamo tower speakers (goes down to about 40hz) for my fronts and a matching center. I opted not to use a set of matching Jamo rears, and instead, install a set of tiny satellite speakers instead (probably only good down to 150hz). Ive also got a 12inch Energy subwoofer. My question is on setting the crossover properly for these.

Currently, I am sending a full range signal to the fronts and center, while the satellites only get 80hz and above. The receiver sends out a full range signal to my sub, and from the sub itself, I set the crossover frequency at about 50hz at 12db/octave. It sounds great to me right now, so I've been too lazy to change it.

My question is, would it be better, or is it more accepted in the audiophile community, that I should set the crossover frequencies from the reciever itself instead? eg. 80hz and above to the front, center, rears. 80hz and below to the sub (and set the sub to play all frequencies). I wish I could set the frequency lower from the reciever (like 50hz) but unfortunately 80hz is as low as it will let me go. It feels like I wont be making full use of my large front towers by restricting them to only 80hz and above.

Thoughts, comments?
 
Personally, I'd cross over all your speakers, fronts included. There is lower frequency content you want played back. Don't worry about not making use of the speakers lower extension. They are still worthwhile to have.

Ideally, you want a receiver that can cross each speaker group differently. I cross my mains at 60Hz, my centre at 80Hz, my surrounds at 100Hz. However, if your receiver doesn't do that, and many don't, then set your crossover higher rather than lower and make use of it on all channels.
 
Back
Top