• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Question about Screen Tearing and Eyefinity

You only get tearing if you use crummy adapters. Further, you only get the advantage of there being more displayports on that card if you actually have displayport monitors.
 
Yup, that sounds about right. Only way to 100% eliminate the problem is to use a card with three DisplayPorts, and three native DisplayPort monitors.

A DisplayPort hub would allow you to split up the single DisplayPort on older cards, but you'd still need native DisplayPort monitors (adapting to DVI brings the problem back, from what I've heard).

The only hub available so far adapts straight from DisplayPort to 3x DVI, so it's of no real use.
 
Yup, that sounds about right. Only way to 100% eliminate the problem is to use a card with three DisplayPorts, and three native DisplayPort monitors.

A DisplayPort hub would allow you to split up the single DisplayPort on older cards, but you'd still need native DisplayPort monitors (adapting to DVI brings the problem back, from what I've heard).

The only hub available so far adapts straight from DisplayPort to 3x DVI, so it's of no real use.

thats what I was afraid of damnit, do nvidia cards suffer from this problem too?
 
I've seen several cases of people reporting no tearing issues at all on eyefinity, I doubt that's because they don't notice it. The problem will not exist on geforces as displayport is not used.
 
I have personally never noticed any excessive tearing... I am running the two side monitors off of DVI and the center off of DP. I am running 3x Dell P2310H in landscape (native displayport support) off a single 5870.
 
I'm personally not seeing any excessive tearing either on my landscape configuration. For reference, my Left screen is on DisplayPort (Using the old $100 active DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter from Dell), middle screen is on DVI 1, and Right screen is on DVI 2.

I imagine it's far more noticeable on DVI displays in portrait, since they have to scan from left-to-right rather than top-to-bottom. DisplayPort should allow scanning in any direction (top-top-bottom even when the monitor is rotated in portrait).
 
I am looking to setup a new eyefinity setup and it looks from reading that because there is not 3 similar outputs you will see tearing

would a card like this new asus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431&cm_re=6950-_-14-121-431-_-Product

with 4 display ports solve this problem? also would I be able to by a DP to DVI adapter and have them work the same way if i did 3 DP to DVI adapters?

Are you planning on going with portrait or landscape because even a reference 6950 worked fine w/o tearing in landscape for me? Putting monitors into portrait mode gave nasty tearing though. I bought the 6970 version of the card you listed and tearing problems are gone in landscape and portrait, but I'm connecting with 3 DP to DP cables (dp native monitors).

If you want to run landscape I think just about any high end card should work.

Yup, that sounds about right. Only way to 100% eliminate the problem is to use a card with three DisplayPorts, and three native DisplayPort monitors.

I'm not sure if using 3 DP outputs form the card and converting them to something like DVI will work or not, but I can confirm 3 DP to DP cables fixes the problem, that's my current setup.
 
Do you have any recommendations on DP to DVI converters that are good quality but not $100 in price?
 
Back
Top