Question about school network

rndmize

Weaksauce
OK, first, small LAN games (~8 people max) are allowed over my school's network, so there's no problem with legalities here. I just can't seem to set them up. The only game I've tried it so far with in Warcarft 3 (which doesn't have much in the way of connection options), and the computers can't see each other, even though they're on the same subnet. Windows networking at the school has been disabled, and everything is connected through a DHCP network... I think. (Even after looking up DHCP on google, and reading the FAQ, I'm still not quite sure how it creates a network, or can be used to create one...) Anyway, I was wondering how to work with this (maybe the reason Warcraft isn't working is because it uses DirectX and that requires Windows Networking? I dunno...) and while the IT guy said it was OK to have small LAN games, I doubt he's going to help me set one up. And while I'm on the subject, is there a way to connect from computer to computer to transfer files with this DHCP stuff? (Maybe the reason I'm confused is because all the explanations of DHCP I'm read talk about how it allows static and dynamic IPs and all this other stuff, and not how to make computers on the network talk to each other...) My pervious networking experience was limited to three machines at home with a router using Windows Networking, so this stuff is really throwing me for a loop...

DHCP just gives out IP address's instead of you manually assigning them, that is ALL.

QJ

Back