Question about SATA data loss

Phazedplasma

Limp Gawd
i think i'm getting some crazy data loss on my SATA drives. I have dual 120 gigs using the SATA raid and a 40 gig that my system is on that uses Ultra ATA. When i dowload stuff to my E: drive (one of the SATA 120's) i usually transfer it to a specific folder (ie music goes in the music folder and so on). But it seems like all of my video files have some kind of pixelation/ corruption in them, and sometimes music files have ticks or beeps but thats very uncomon. and larger files .rars. and .bins are most of the time corrupt. Though when i download to my system dirve everythings fine. Is there a way i can be sure of this? I really don't want to send both back

Do you experience the corruption only when you watch or listen to files from your SATA drive? If you put the files on your IDE drive, do they work?

It's possible you're experiencing the same problem I was (see my other thread about SATA and Athlon XP's), in that you have a motherboard where the SATA controller is just added on to the PCI bus instead of being included in the southbridge. If that's the case, you won't be able to get very good constant data rates, (i.e. listen to music or watch video files). Cubase is basically unusable for me off of my SATA drive.

If you're using anything but a KT600 or KT880 chipset on your motherboard, your SATA controller is probably an add-on.

My SATA controller is on the mainboard itself,

my specs are:
ABit nfs-2 rev 3
barton 3000 333mhz fsb
1 gig corsair XMS

and when i move the files to my IDE drive i get the same artifacts i got before.

Are you using Kazaa? If so there goes you problem. If not, how do you know that these files weren't already fubared before they reached your drives?

no not kazaa, a university DC hub. I know they're not already corrput cause i'll have a friend download the same file from the same person and his will work fine.

If they are large RAR files, make sure you have the newer versions of WinRAR. I know that stuff that is encoded in newer RAR, the older ones cannot extract it, it will give you a corruption error.

Back