Question about Samsung LNT4081F (LED Backlit)

pcgeek86

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I saw the Samsung 55" LED Backlit 120hz LCD this weekend at Best Buy and was absolutely appalled at how awesome the quality on it was. I loved the contrast / black levels on it, and I also loved the 120hz when it was set to "High."

Unfortunately, as awesome as this display was, it was also approximately $4000 ($3799 on Amazon today). This is a bit out of my price range on a LCD display.

While researching other LED backlit LCD displays, I found the LNT4081F. This display boasts a "LED Motion Plus" feature, but doesn't list anything about 120hz. Does this LED Motion Plus do what 120hz displays do, or what?

I'm basically looking for an affordable display that can do 120hz and has LED backlighting.

Any other recommendations would be great, too.

LED backlighting is just starting to trickle out, there aren't very many options for that right now. If you must have that feature then wait a little while longer, by the end of 2009 it will be hard to find a mid/high-end TV or monitor without it.

If it doesn't list 120Hz in the specs and the description of LED Motion Plus does not highlight 120Hz, then I doubt the panel has it.

I can't wait till these hit mainstream and bring down the prices considerably even though I just bought a 32" LCD. Ahh, good'ol technology! :D

Well, right now I have a Westinghouse TX-42F430S 42" 1080p LCD, but after seeing the new LED backlighting technology on top of the 120hz, I was just floored. I've only had my LCD for about 1.5 years, but I'm already ready to upgrade now that I've seen the LN55A950! It's freaking amazing.

The 81 series was last year's model. It does NOT have the 120Hz feature. LED Motion Plus is a backlight scanning feature designed to eliminate the "sample and hold" blur that LCDs cause.

The 55" TV you saw includes both the 120Hz feautre and the LED Motion Plus feature.

The new LED models from Samsung are not too bad but still cannot compete with the latest Pioneer Plasma Kuro. Unfortunately, the smallest Plasma Kuro is 50".

What do you mean the 950 doesn't compete with the Kuro Plasma? What attributes of the plasma exceed those of the 950? I'm genuinely curious.

I went back to another Best Buy tonight just to stare at the LN55A950 for an hour or so. It was playing Transformers on HD-DVD, and I was messing around with the settings on the display, changing 120hz to on/off and watching various sections of the movie. It's amazing what the 120hz does. I still maintain that it appears that everything is "fast-forwarding" though.

Also, I don't think I need to mention this, but .... the blacks on the 950 are absolutely awesome.

If you dont plan on using this TV as a PC monitor then this will be your best bet : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889213017

Pioneer Kuro's are still the best picture on the market, LED backlit LCD's are great and all but they still can't match the Inky blacks of a Kuro. Not to mention Pioneer as a brand is just plain quality and for the money its nearly 1300 dollars cheaper.

Actually, I believe the Samsung 950 series and Sony XBR8 series can match the inky blacks of Plasmas. They even have a chance at being better since these sets use local dimming and will lower or turn off the LEDs behind a black area.

Unfortunately, I do use it as a computer monitor ... mostly for gaming on my gaming system. I do most other stuff on my laptop, so it wouldn't get a ton of desktop usage.

Why do you suggest that it wouldn't be good for using with my computer though?

The only other reason I'm keen on the Samsung display is that yes, it's a 55 inch display, whereas the Kuro is only a 50" .... I figure that if I'm going to spend a ton of money on a new display, I might as well make it a worthwhile upgrade.

-----

As far as the black levels go, I'd have to agree with Relentence. Godmachine, have you actually seen one of these Samsung LED Backlit LCDs? They are absolutely gorgeous, and the blacks are really black. In fact, there was a standard LCD sitting next to it at Best Buy, and you could totally see the difference. It made me want to go home and throw out my 42" LCD out of disgust at the black levels. Typically I don't even notice, but that just goes to show how really good the Samsung is.

If you haven't seen the Samsung's black levels, I'd encourage you to go to a local store and check one out, if they have it. I know they're still relatively new releases, so maybe your local store doesn't have one, but at least try to give it a chance against the Kuro :) I am pretty sure that you'll be quite impressed.

Back