question about s754 and system ram

horse

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
1,246
Im looking to get a pci-e mobo becuae Im tired of getting the shaft when it comes to agp cards, and I doubt there will be any good agp dx10 cards, or any at all.
I was thinking of either the DFI nF4X or the Ga-K8NE, because Im still on s754 and dont want to complete upgrade just yet. Plus they're pretty cheap.
Both of these boards have three dimm slots thats why I narrowed it down to them. I already have 2x512 sticks of crucial balistix, and figured I might as well get another 512 dimm of the exact same for a total of 1.5 gigs.

Then I read this for one of the mobo reviews on newegg...

"All Socket754 MB have similar problem due to the embedded memory controller in CPU. The 3rd memory slot is not defective but you can't use 3 double-bank memory at the same time on ALL 754 Motherboard."

Supposedly both boards support 3 gigs of ram each, but if I were to do 3x512 it wouldnt work because my memory is double bank? (8 memory modules on each side of the dimm for 16 moduals total)... or something like that.

Is this correct?
 
should this topic get moved, I wasnt sure where to post in cpus or memory, so i just put it in general.If a mod wants to move it, or I could repost in either catagory...idk just looking for a litte help;,
 
If you have a gig already, another 512 won't help much (you wont notice the difference). Since RAM is expensive, don't bother with it. I'd go for the Abit NV8 instead.
 
you dont say eh? I take your word for it. I think I may go ahead and buy that bitch then.
Im still puzzled on the dual sided dimms and why it wont work with 3x512.
Would it work if it were to be underclocked to ddr333?
 
I have the NV8 and confirm it's a good board for those looking to stretch some life out of their 754 processor. It only has two ram slots though. I also disagree with the poster that said you won't see much difference going from 1 gb to 1.5 gb of ram. If your applications (like games) need more than 1 gb of ram, you'll notice a speed improvement with an extra 50% of ram. You could always buy a 1 gb dimm to go with one of your 512 dimms, since the 754 is single channel, I don't believe the capacities have to match.
 
I believe it will work if you underclock it to DDR333.

You're telling me that 1.5GB would greatly improve BF2 on an AGP (WinXP) based system as opposed to 1GB? I doubt it. While it will improve, I just doubt that the cost of another 512MB will be worth it. If ram was cheap, say $25 for 512MB, then sure, why not. But I think 512MB will run you about $50. While the cost to performance ratio isn't great, the choice is still yours.

I stuck another 512MB ($24, DDR333) into my dad's P4A 1.8Ghz (WinXP) and didnt notice any major difference in performance with regards to everyday use and PS7 use. While PS7 is a hog, the extra 512 didn't matter much, since I wasn't dealing with large images (regular 5x7's). There were no performance improvements while playing CS1.6 either, using a Radeon 7500. Therefore, I pulled the 512MB stick out and left the system at 1GB. I threw that extra stick of 512 into THIS system, which is my desktop at work. It only had 512MB to begin with. Now THAT upgrade was indeed noticeable!
 
Back
Top