Question about routers and bridge modes

V@nill@

Limp Gawd
I have an Actiontec Wireless DSL gateway. This came with my DSL. I need this router for it's modem capabilities.

I also have a WRT54G router.

I would like to put the actiontec in dumb bridge mode and keep the WRT54G (I love the updated firmware).

Does anyone know the process invloved in doing this? I can't just use the WRT54G because it does not have modem capabilities.

Code:
---Phone Socket-----Actiontec-----Linksys-----Other computers

Their IP's are standard. The Linksys is 192.168.1.1 and the actiontec is 192.168.0.1

I'm basically looking for a short guide or help on what to do. Disable DHCP on the actiontec, put the router in DMZ, etc. I'm clueless.

Essentially i'd just like to turn the Actiontec router into a dumb modem.

Sorry Tink, I should have said -

I did 'RTFM' and I tried to do the transparent gateway feature it described, however I lost my net connection instantly. Someone said that bridging in that sense was something that the ISP enabled and mine doesn't :(

You are correct, I work for an ISP in Phoenix that uses Bridging insted of PPoE (most DSL is PPoE). We use the "Transparent bridging" option on the Actiontec for connection to our services. When this option is enabled the Actiontec acts like a DSL to Ethernet converter per say. Your static or dynamic IP from your ISP will be handled in the Linksys in this mode.

No all ISPs will support this.....Im guessing you have qwest as your line provider and have an ISP that is PPoE. If so I beleive you are screwed. I think you have to keep the modem in PPoE mode.

can't you internet connection sharing with a computer? to the router?

Actually i'm a UK user, my ISP uses PPoA!

If I connect my Linksys and actiontec via a crossover cable would that work (although i'd be double NAT'd)

You don't have to double NAT if you don't want to. You could put the Linksys in the Actiontec's DMZ (it's one of the options in the config page). Then turn off the Linksys's NAT feature and use it for DHCP/DNS service.

Back