Question about roaming profiles under win2k

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
Hi folks, I have a small annoyance I'm finally getting around to asking about. My user profiles are stored on my samba server ( small fact, probably not even related to the question, but good to have regardless ). When I get a new user, I'd like to have a default profile ( all profiles start out the same, with the same settings specific to the software we use here ) that I can just copy to their profile directory and be done with it. However, after much fiddling, I've figured out that there are a few files that are tied to the user in some way that I don't know how to modify ( ntuser.ini, ntuser.dat, and probably ntuser.pol ). As it stands, I must log in as the new user to setup their reg keys manually.

Does anybody have a trick on how to do this? And just to further complicate things, can this still be done if I am mapping out directorys ( applciation data, my documents, start menu, desktop )?

Thanks

Are you using group policies? If you are then this should be easy, if not, that is exactly what you need.

j0k3r said:
Are you using group policies? If you are then this should be easy, if not, that is exactly what you need.
I am, and I don't know how to do it. A suggestion perhaps? On where to look?

Start>Run>gpedit.msc

Start playing around in there. Once you have a policy you like, you can apply it to an OU or a group and place the users you want with those policies into those groups or OUs.

I have played with group policies quite a bit, but I do not see where I can set individual reg keys for my users.

maybe I've missed it?

On EDIT: I am a jackass, I should have pointed you here first. :p

Configuring a Default Profile
You can create a default profile to ensure that all users within a domain receive an identical profile the first time they log on. This option simplifies administrative control over the users’ desktops and settings.

To create a default user profile, you must be logged on as Administrator or a member of the Administrators group. Create a default profile for all new user accounts in a domain. Include any domain-specific customizations that you want in the profile. To create subsequent profiles, you can create a new user account as a template.

Before creating a new user account to use as a new user’s profile template, perform the following tasks:

1. Log on to the domain as the new user, and then customize the desktop if appropriate.
2. Optionally, install and configure any applications to be shared by user accounts made from this template.
3. Log off, and then log on as the administrator.
4. For more information about creating a new user account, see "Create a new user account" in Help and Support Center for Windows Server 2003.

To configure a new user account to use as a new user’s profile template
1. After you create a new user account template, in Control Panel, click System.
2. On the Advanced tab, under User Profiles, click Settings.
3. Under Profiles stored on this computer, select the user that you created in step 1, and then click Copy To.
4. To create the default user profile for the domain, type the path to NETLOGON\Default User on the domain controller.
5. In the Copy To dialog box, under Permitted to use, click Change.
6. In the Select User or Group dialog box, enter the object name to select, and then type: Everyone.

Taken from HERE

Or do the same as above but copy it to the "Default User" profile on the system and everyone new on that machine will get whatever was in that profile.

Back