Question About RJ12 Keystone Jacks

Hi Guys
I am just wondering if I can use RJ12 keystone jacks to bring in 2 separate dsl lines coming from the NID box. Then use a RJ11 connector to separate the 2 lines going into 2 different modems?

If anybody wants to know what I plan on doing is this is for backup bandwidth in-case my business coax connection fails.

Hi Guys
I am just wondering if I can use RJ12 keystone jacks to bring in 2 separate dsl lines coming from the NID box. Then use a RJ11 connector to separate the 2 lines going into 2 different modems?

If anybody wants to know what I plan on doing is this is for backup bandwidth in-case my business coax connection fails.

"I am just wondering if I can use RJ12 keystone jacks to bring in 2 separate dsl lines coming from the NID box."

Yes

"Then use a RJ11 connector to separate the 2 lines going into 2 different modems?"

Yes, if you wire and crimp everything correctly.

well see that is the next question if what pins/colors of cat 5 would I use on the RJ11 connector?

these are the connectors I am using:
plug-6p4c.jpg

Last edited:
line 1 and line 2 should be different color pairs at the demarc.

Just wire them in the line 1 positions on both jacks (2 center pins). Polarity is important, but not critical.

You should be able to take a regular old analog phone, and plug it into both to get a dialtone. Or if you have a buttset, you can use it for the same purpose.

I'd bring in one run of cat-5. Don't use cat-6 as the conductors are a different size and may not punch down or terminate correctly depending on your connectors.

Use the Orange pair, for line 1, and the Blue pair for line 2. Just try to stay consistent with your color use. If the TELCO is using green and brown, use that. Makes it easier to t-shoot later,.

I would also recommend matching the color code from the telco. Standards usually will have Line 1 as blue/white, line 2 orange/white, etc. In case you're interested you can refer to this link http://psacake.com/web/fc.asp

I plan on using RJ45 jack and RJ45 connector then after the RJ45 connector I am going to break it down to 6p2c/6p4c modular plug then into dsl modem.

Last edited:
A 2 line jack would be RJ14, not RJ12.
RJ12 is one line ahead of a key system. Just clarification.

Back