Question about returning a apple hard drive.

yoyo13131

n00b
Ya, my hard drive I got from apple died, which is under warranty still. Do I have to bring the hole computer in to them or can I just bring them the dead hard drive to replace it? :confused:

also what kind of drive..internal...Firewire....what....was it purchased from the online apple store? at a reseller...we need details

Its a hard drive for god sake... The return policy wouldnt change depending on what type of hard drive it is. :mad:

yoyo13131 said:
Its a hard drive for god sake... The return policy wouldnt change depending on what type of hard drive it is. :mad:

WHAT COMPUTER DID IT COME FROM....DIfferent HD's were shipped with different systems,

if you want an answer then provide the requested information. Simple as that

typically apple will want you to send the whole computer in....at least from my experience. they dont really like user serviceables. we had a sata hdd in a new g5 go down and called to see what to do. they wanted us to send the whole computer. we couldnt afford the down time, so we scrapped the drive and just bought one. i installed it and all is well. the apple drive was a maxtor, so i took a chance and tried to rma it but no go. they said that it had to be serviced by apple since it was branded by apple.

also, from what i understand, they will try to do a data recovery on it or something. so if youve lost important data, it may be worth a check to see if sending it back will get you that kind of service.

since its still under warranty call and do what they ask. especially if you have bought extended service. powerbooks and i books, will definately require sending in, as will imacs. g5s too apparently, cause that is what we have.

if anyone knows different give the guy some more info.

yoyo13131 said:

ok...it is a Hard drive...is it a SATA drive for a PowerMac G5, is it an ATA drive for a PowerMac G4, is it an External Drive that was purchased through the online Apple Store, is it a replacement drive for a computer? it does make a difference as to WHAT it is and HOW you got it...sigh

gigglebyte said:
ok...it is a Hard drive...is it a SATA drive for a PowerMac G5, is it an ATA drive for a PowerMac G4, is it an External Drive that was purchased through the online Apple Store, is it a replacement drive for a computer? it does make a difference as to WHAT it is and HOW you got it...sigh

Ok its came out of a G4 its a deathstar or what ever its called(and it "was" in a exsternal case thing), and then I formated it to NTFS and put it in my PC and it died in like 5 weeks while it was in my PC... So if I do have to bring my computer in can I bring my PC? But I perfer to bring in just then died hard drive. or is that not possible?

i bet you're shit outta luck if it "came out" of anything.

do you have applecare? if you have a g4 and you don't have applecare this is a moot point anyway.

vinividivici said:
i bet you're shit outta luck if it "came out" of anything.

do you have applecare? if you have a g4 and you don't have applecare this is a moot point anyway.

agreed. since you took it out of a g4, you pretty much voided any warranty as far as i know. at least after they take a look at it and possibly find the format is no longer apple extended. my advice would be to go to the hdd makers website and see if you can rma it through them. probably wont let you if it is apple branded though. good luck on finding some way to get it fixed.

now which is it...was it an external drive or something that came out of a G4? you can't have it both ways...if it came out of a G4 you are probably SOL and if you pulled it out of an external case well..then you are probably SOL there too

gigglebyte said:
now which is it...was it an external drive or something that came out of a G4? you can't have it both ways...if it came out of a G4 you are probably SOL and if you pulled it out of an external case well..then you are probably SOL there too

It was pluged into my G4 in the external case. Then I took the hard drive out of the case, I formated it to NTFS and put it in my PC.

:confused: ?Does that void the warranty? :confused:

yoyo13131 said:
It was pluged into my G4 in the external case. Then I took the hard drive out of the case, I formated it to NTFS and put it in my PC.

:confused: what makes this apples problem if it was in an external case, and likely from an external vendor?

yoyo13131 said:

(Got the harddrive(60Gig deskstar AKA: Deathstar) when I bot the G4 and its still under Apple care)

You'll have to excuse Yoyo as he is, in fact, a whiny 15 year old who simply can't accept any information from his older brother if it doesn't agree with what he wants... I've already gone over this with him in detail; however, he refuses to admit to himself that he is pretty much SOL. I'm rather surprised that he posted on the [H].

Anyway, for those of you who want to know what the situation is, the 60GB Apple Logo IBM Deathstar HDD (I love calling 'em that... :D ) that came with my Mom's Quicksilver G4 started to go south so I pulled it and replaced it with a different drive. At which point, yoyo decided to stick the already failing drive into his gaming rig as a secondary storage drive (against my advice). He's just pissed that the drive finally died and that the parents can't afford to be without that G4 (which is being used as the primary Photoshop rig for their photography studio) just to try and get Apple to replace a drive that they don't care about--besides, the AppleCare coverage expires in a couple of months anyway.

*sigh* I should probably get back to working on that SuperCube project... I really need to take the time to update the worklog...

Back