Question about reciever and speakers

In a new house, and there are speakers in the wall. Can I connect them (the speakers) to a receiver that delivers more watts than the speakers are rated for?

Generally I wouldn't. It's can be more trouble than it's worth to keep them from blowing if the mismatch is too great.

What are the specs for the speakers and for you're receiver? If it's not too much of a mismatch you should be fine.

70 for receiver and 40 for speakers IIRC
Do the math, don't crank up the volume higher than 60% (i'm really rounding off here) and you will be completely fine, not an uncommon practice. Just be sure that small children don't have access to that volume dial ;)

In a new house, and there are speakers in the wall. Can I connect them (the speakers) to a receiver that delivers more watts than the speakers are rated for?

Absolutely!!!! That's actually the recommended way to do things!

If you turn the system up loud enough to distort, that means it's to loud, and you should turn it down. If it's the speakers distorting, then that's not *awful* but still not good in the long run. If it's the receiver that's distorting, then it's sending dirty power, which is really bad news. It wouldn't surprise me if it also messed up the receiver quicker as well.

Back