question about re-imaging

robman_rob

Limp Gawd
alright, I took an image of my OS HD using vista business complete pc backup. So next time I can "reformat" easier.

The OS is on a 40GB partition and the image is stored on DVD. I would like to transfer the image onto another HD of another make and model and size, is that ok or will something screw up. I don't know if it's ok because there is a hardware change involved, the addition of a new, faster HD on which the OS would be transfered too.

At most you'll have to reactivate Vista. If the internet activation fails, call the MS 1-800 number w/ your license key handy and just explain. HDD replacement is a common occurrence so they shouldn't give you any problems if you have to reactivate.

If it is the same type of hardware, connected to the same controller, you'll be fine.

so it's ok to just plug the new hd in and transfer the image onto it and format my current hd? do I have to make a 40gb partition for the OS again?

so it's ok to just plug the new hd in and transfer the image onto it and format my current hd? do I have to make a 40gb partition for the OS again?

Yeah, I'd create a partition before transferring it. You can always change the size of your partition later.

I haven't used the internal imaging program yet, but most others allow you to specifiy the size of the target partition.

Back