• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

question about ram

zz2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
181
Can cheaper RAM hold back my overclock?? (A64 939 setup)
 
possibly...

could make better use of the thread if you listed system specs and what you've tried ;)
 
well I haven't tried anything yet :) because I haven't bought the system yet.

..but the system will be A64 3000+ venice, EPoX 9npa+ Ultra, 4x512MB ram
 
Don't cheap out on Ram. It will definately effect your overclock (that's whats limiting me right now) you need some ram thats gonna be stable at low timings and take a higher FSB or mhz rating then what its meant for. Trying a stick of ram that's stable at 2 instead of 3 makes a huge difference.
 
Ram is the one thing that costs the most yet nets you the least amount of performance with A64 chips. In games a stick of pc2100 ram nets like two fps less than a stick of pc4800 ram. Put the money elseware if you really want to see a performance boost. Buying heavy oc ram is just a waste of cash when you can use dividers on an A64 with little effect on performance. Unless Sisoft sandra memtest benchmark is your favorite application. There is very little difference between ram with A64s.... however I guess some people need to justify spending that much money for something with so little gain.
 
Hmmm I respect your opinion I have no experience with the A64 cores. But I would think that memory especially timings would still effect things in the long run. I could be wrong Im open to hear other opinions and experiences.
 
So with dividers I can lower mhz on ram, but what about timings? I heard somewhere that when you increase FSB (HTT) it affects timings?? :confused:
 
no it shouldn't affect your timings. the dividers are there so you can run your ram at a reasonable speed with good timings. take whatever ram you have and check out it's rated speed then see how high you can push it. then run a divider and up your htt to get a higher cpu speed while using a divider. running at 1:1 doesn't have that big of a REAL WORLD effect on your system is the popular belief right now.

there's a good guide on how to OC the a64s in the amd processors section of the forum.
 
I run my ram (2x1gb sticks of crucial and 1x512mb sticks of Samsung) at Cas 1.5-2-2-8 DDR310 (155Mhz). Seems to play the games better than Cas 3-3-3-8 ddr480 (240Mhz).

I'll prolly change it later though and go for the higher Mhz...I can't leave anything alone.
 
Back
Top